Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jpgoodwin

Prime Video doesn't use Roku accessibility settings for closed captions.

Earlier today, my Prime Video channel worked as expected with no issues. After downloading the Prime Video Android app on my phone to watch elsewhere (including this detail because maybe somehow this caused it?), I returned to my Roku TV to watch something on Prime before bed. Except the captions were suddenly huge, and I couldn't change them. Amazon says the Roku app is supposed to use the Roku accessibility settings. It seems to be taking my font and background settings fine, but the size is more like an "Extra Large" when my TV settings are on "Medium" (which I've had it set to since I got the TV.) After troubleshooting a bit I got the captions to change size to small, but while this did seem to display correctly it was too small to read and I couldn't recreate it after changing my settings back to medium. After that point it's been stuck on the weirdly large size. I even tried resetting my TV and signing in and out of the Prime Video app. Neither did anything to fix it. The captions are so large on my TV which is only 24" that it takes up about 1/4 of the screen when there are two lines of captions. I checked other apps and they still use my TV's settings for captions. Please help! There were no updates or anything that caused this as far as I know. As I said I was watching less than 12 hours ago and it was perfectly fine. 

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Prime Video doesn't use Roku accessibility settings for closed captions.

@jpgoodwin 

You are correct in that the captions/subtitle format is handled through through the Roku settings for Prime Video.

Try going to Settings/Accessibility/Captions Style and see if selecting "Default" under the available different categories helps.  After going through the various categories and selecting default, try performing a System Restart on your Roku device or Roku TV. (Settings/System/Power/System Restart).

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos