Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Spens25

Prime Video Shutting Down While Watching Programs

I have a Roku Tv & Amazon prime. Anytime I’m watching anything on the prime channel the app completely shuts down and takes me back to the Home Screen. It happens at least one time per episode and multiple times per movie. I’ve restarted, reinstalled, and done everything I’ve seen in other threads regarding this problem but nothing is working. It’s starting to get obnoxious. Is there anyway to fix it? 

5 REPLIES 5
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Re: Prime Video Shutting Down While Watching Programs

Hello @Spens25

Thanks for letting us know about the issue you're experiencing.

Did you restart your Roku TV before reinstalling the channel? That step is crucial when performing the troubleshooting. If you haven't tried the suggested order (remove > restart > reinstall), we would recommend giving it a shot once again. We also suggest doing the restart from the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > Power (If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step.) > System restart.

Let us know how it goes!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
Pondside1

I am having this same problem with prime video. I followed your instructions and it still shuts down.  My internet connection is fine. I do not have this **bleep** down problems with other apps, p,is I have Acorn tv through Prime and have no problem with this.  This problem started when I watched Hunters recently. Otherwise I had no problem whatsoever.

please advise.

Grace D.

RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Hello @Pondside1

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

If removing the channel and adding it back after you've restarted the device does not resolve the channel issue, I'd recommend reaching out to channel support directly to report the issue and request additional support. Many channels on the Roku platform are developed and maintained by the channel provider directly, and they'll be able to best assist. If other channels are working correctly, and you only experience this issue on that channel (app), that is likely an indication that the issue lies within that particular channel. In these cases, the channel provider will need to investigate the issue in order to help resolve it.

You can reach Prime Video support here

Regards,
Karla

0 Kudos
Springer2

The advice about remove, restart, and install seemed to work for us. FYI: I tried just removing and then reinstalled the app without the restart and that did not work. Thanks for the posting.

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

One other possible culprit for those for whom the remove/restart/reinstall sequence fails to correct the problem:

If you are powering your Roku by plugging into the USB port on the TV, try powering from house power via the USB power adapter that came with the Roku*.

The ports on many televisions only supply 0.5 amp or less, which is not enough to power a Roku reliably. It may appear to start up okay, but when it runs into something that requires more power than the tv's USB port can provide, something's got to give. Frequently this results in shutting down the stream you are viewing and exiting back to the Roku home screen.

If this is a new problem, possibly an update to either the Roku operating software or to some channel app software is using a little more power than in the past. If you were just barely scraping by before, this might push you over the edge.

*If your Roku didn't come with an adapter, or if you don't have a Roku adapter handy, any other USB power adapter you have from another device should work as long as the fine print on it says it outputs at least 1 amp.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos