Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ClaytonDew
Reel Rookie

PBS App won’t stream anything / pops out to main screen

Anyone else having issues w/ the PBS app?  We have Passport access to the PBS apps, selected a local station and can see our library of content, shows that are saved, etc.  However each and every time I click on an episode to watch something it will not stream and reverts to the main PBS app screen. /Clayton
5 REPLIES 5
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: PBS App won’t stream anything / pops out to main screen

Hi,

Thanks for letting us know about the issue that you are experiencing.

Is PBS the only channel that you observe this issue with? It's possible there may be an issue within the channel itself that the service provider will need to investigate. 

Try removing the PBS channel from the Roku home screen by navigating to the channel tile, pressing the * key on your remote and choosing 'Remove channel'. Then restart your device from Settings>System>System restart. Once your player starts up again, add the PBS channel back once more. Does this clear up the issue you are seeing?

If the issue remains unresolved, I'd recommend reaching out to PBS directly to report the issue and request additional support. Many channels on the Roku platform is developed and maintained by the channel provider directly, and they'll be able to best assist. 

Please keep us posted!

Thanks,
Danny
Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
ClaytonDew
Reel Rookie

This was an issue with their advertisement being blocked via DNS ad blocker. PBS suggested I first delete the app / change local PBS stations on my web page pbs.org from KQED to any other station and save. Then change back to local. That didn’t solve the problem. Once I changed to default DNS from cable company the problem was solved.
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Hi,

Thanks for keeping us in the loop. We're happy to know that your issue was solved!

Happy Streaming!
Danny
Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
markshan
Reel Rookie

I found a rather simple fix for this. From the Roku home screen, go to Settings > System > Advanced system settings > Control by mobile apps. Change it from "Default" to "Permissive". PBS would freeze and return to the main screen whenever it tried to load an ad, but I haven't had a single issue since I changed this setting.

Maina207
Channel Surfer

Thanks. Very helpful, worked right away.