Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dovas
Reel Rookie

Over The Air Channels (network tv) Disappeared

For a TCL Smart Roku TV: Using the Live TV channel, for years we have been able to watch network TV (CBS, ABC, Fox) via our connected HDTV antenna. Suddenly a few weeks ago that changed and we started getting Roku's streaming channels (mostly far right or far left news networks and some soccer) and cannot access the major networks. Roku support says that I need a cable provider, which is certainly not true, and wasn't before!

When I unchecked the streaming channels option and re-scanned the antenna the whole Live TV app just turned into a black screen with no input.

I have restarted, removed Live TV and re-added, done everything I can think of. Around this time the Live TV icon also changed from an antenna to a screen icon, so maybe that has something to do with it?

Thanks.

20 REPLIES 20
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Over The Air Channels (network tv) Disappeared

@Dovas 

When in the OTA/antenna channel Guide, try navigating all the way to the left (where channel numbers would be), pressing the *button, select Manage Channels, Filter, All Channels.

If you have no channels at all in the OTA/antenna guide, you may have to temporarily re-enable the Roku Channel LiveTV Streaming Channels. (just so somethings shows in screen for above to work.)

Also try a Manual System Update to see if Roku has addressed this yet. (Settings/System/System Update/Check Now - Press OK).

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

eightzero
Channel Surfer

This appears to be a bug in the 11.0.0 build 4193 update that was done a few weeks ago. While I can use my OTA tuner, the channel guide information is "no information" for all OTA channels. Roku has a poor track record of fixing the bugs they introduce that take away functionality, and they have obvious quality control issues in their software production unit. I don't expect this to be fixed any time soon (eg within anything less than weeks/months.) And of course the reason is sort of obvious: Roku makes no revenue from OTA features, so it can't be much of a priority.

I would like a way to revert to a previous OS; and/or block any system updates. This is apparently not possible unless you disconnect the device from the network and lose all functionality as a connected device (eg solely as an OTA receiver with no guide.)

Dovas
Reel Rookie

Thanks for that response. I have no idea how to verify whether it's that bug or not, but if you're right that is infuriating. We're talking about basic TV functionality, and if Roku isn't committed to making that available then the value add of owning a Roku TV is seriously lower.

Dovas
Reel Rookie

@RokuDanny-RPlease advise. No over the air channels available, only black screen.

0 Kudos
eightzero
Channel Surfer

I remember the days when the OTA "channel guide" came in the mail on paper. Worked great.

It is likely not possible to get a "dumb" TV anymore. We are now inundated with this foolish @InternetOf**bleep**. I do not need a refrigerator that is connected to the internet. 

0 Kudos
Arslade

@RokuDanny-R , @RokuKariza-D , @RokuMary-F 

Any thoughts on this issue? I'm experiencing the same problem. OTA channels suddenly cut out today and re-scanning for channels does not fix the issue. The guide also does not populate.

I have tried the following:

• Using a different HDTV antenna (known working from another TV)
  • Factory reset
  • Changing the zip code associated with the TV

When doing all of these and then rescanning, I still only get a blank screen on the Live TV input, with no guide.

My Roku specs are:

Roku TV: 8103X
TCL Model: 32S305
Software Version: 11.0.0 build 4193-48

How can I get the OTA channels back? Can I downgrade to a previous version of the software?

0 Kudos
tvid
Binge Watcher

Same problem, 11.0.0.0, Build 4193 - TCL TV

With internet connected: no channel listings (off-air or streaming), no remote changing of TV channels. As of today: June 21, 2022.

Tried everything. One thing works: DISCONNECT INTERNET: TV Channels back (with no info on listings, until you tune to the channel... per typical off-air TVs, without Internet channel listings).

So the problem is obviously with Roku channel listings. With ethernet, everything else works - including the Roku "Live TV" streaming (that is in effect an "app" complete with channel listings, but apart from the off-air channel guide).

The problem is off-air channel listings with the internet connected. Internet disconnected restores channel listing and remote operation.

Macmanjimmy69
Binge Watcher

found on other forums and worked...

Goto TV Inputs setting and change icon from "Live TV" to "Antenna"... restart, change zip code (to another nearby) restart, scan channels, restart...

should be working after this

ROKU really needs to look at this issue

Droyed

Darn, didn’t work for me.