Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
edroksense
Roku Guru

On Roku 3 player how to watch live tv ( ota ) free tv to get app

At roku 3 player and selecting plex, sign in  at website link, want to watch local live tv on the air antenna, please give procedure to get app for cbs, abc, nbc, fox, free tv. My roku 3 is wired to internet.

No subscription  only local channel available to antenna reception.

Thanks community.

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: On Roku 3 player how to watch live tv ( ota ) free tv to get app

To my knowledge there's no app/channel that is designed solely to watch local OTA stations. There are a handful of channels that might offer the major networks, but they won't have the sub-channels available. And of course there's no tuner in any Roku player, so you can't just hook up an OTA antenna to a Roku player. 

But, there are ways to access OTA local stations with a Roku. It requires a networked OTA tuner on your home network. One company making these tuners is Silicon Dust. I have their HD Home Run Flex 4K unit, which provides four tuners (two that support ATSC 3.0). SD offers a channel for Roku devices, but Plex is also capable of connecting to the network tuner and allows access to whatever it receives. 

Remember that Plex requires a server component running on your network, either on a PC or a NAS device. The server is what connects to the network tuner and provides the stream to the Roku. If you're away from home, you can connect to Plex to watch any of your local media, but the network tuner is not available when you are off your local network. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos