Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MaxieMo
Binge Watcher

Re: [OS 12.0] YouTube going to black screen

Jump to solution

I also want to add that my own work around for now is I just stream YouTube from my tv and it never does this... so it definitely is Roku related. I would much prefer to watch this channel on my Roku but for now I can't until they fix this.

0 Kudos
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @MaxieMo,

Thanks for reaching out to us here in the Roku Community!

We'd love to take a closer look at this. Can you please provide us with the following information:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • Does this issue occur on the specific channel? If so, what version/build is the channel? (This can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button.)
  • Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID).
  • What are the steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing?

Once we have this information, we can pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further. We look forward to your responses and gathering your details.

All the best,

Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
MaxieMo
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

It's happening only on YouTube and Netflix over the last several months. Here's my info:

Roku Model: 4800X - Roku Ultra

Serial #: X01000LF5WLX

Device ID: S02A212F5WLX

Software Version/OS: 12.0.0 - Build 4184-C2

Internet Download Speed: 91Mbps (wired)

YouTube: Version 2.23 - Build 115025125

Netflix: Version 5.2 - Build 120096021

When I first press Home 5 times and then Back 5 times I'm taken to the home page. So I always have to do it a second time and then I see the Tracker ID come up. While watching both channels the image randomly pauses (it pauses on Netflix with the image still showing, on YouTube it pauses and the screen goes black). When I press a button on the Roku remote (like enter or play) it unfreezes and plays where it left off. I'd say it happens on average about every 4-8 minutes. I let this happen three times for each channel tonight and recorded the ID's below after each incident. 

YouTube

ID: LX-375-986

ID: LX-375-989

ID: LX-375-991

Netflix

ID: LX-375-993

ID: LX-376-012

ID: LX-376-021

Hopefully you can figure out what's causing this. It's frustrating and just started happening since April or May. At first it didn't happen much and was easier to dismiss, but it seems to happen a lot more now. I replaced my HDMI cable, upgraded home network speed, cleared app cache, dumped the apps and reinstalled, reset Roku numerous times...

Thanks.

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @MaxieMo,

Greetings and welcome to the Roku Community!

This information has been noted by our team, and we'll send this information over to the appropriate Roku team who'll further investigate this issue and address it. In the meantime, we value your understanding and patience regarding this matter.

Hoping for the best for you.

Regards,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
MaxieMo
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

In case it matters to mention this, I discovered last night that the random pausing is now happening on Hulu as well. So it's happening on YouTube, Netflix, and now Hulu since the last Roku update. I was not able to get an error code for the Hulu incidents but I will the next time it happens. I also want to point out that when I watch all these apps on my smart TV (not Roku) the random pausing never happens, so this is definitely Roku software related.

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Thanks for the follow-up information @MaxieMo,

Rest assured that we have provided an update to the appropriate Roku team regarding this issue. Once we hear back from them, we'll make sure to add details here in this thread.

Thanks,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Tdchelle
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Is this where I post an issue ? I too have the same issue with YouTube screen going black. My software is 12.5.0 

0 Kudos
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Tdchelle,

Greetings from the Roku Community!

We're glad to assist you with your problem on YouTube. We'd like to know more about the issue that you are running into so we can assist you further. Please provide us with more details.

• What Roku device are you using right now? (e.g., Roku Express, Roku Streambar, Roku TV—specify TV)
  • Are you getting any error messages or error codes while trying to play a content?
  • What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far?

We'll be waiting for your response.

Kind regards,

Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Tdchelle
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Roku streaming stick 4k

When I try to use YouTube the screen goes black in a matter of seconds. I can press a button on the remote and the screen comes back then it goes black in under a min. No error codes of any kind show. I’ve tried reinstalling the app after I’ve shut down Roku. Checked my internet everything is fine. I can use youtube from laptop and it works fine, it is just the Roku device. Also the tubi app won’t play videos as well. If you click on a video it will go to the commercial and then right back to the start screen and won’t play the video. Thank you for your help

0 Kudos
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Tdchelle,

Thanks for keeping us updated here in the Roku Community!

Please be advised that when you are doing troubleshooting steps by removing the affective channel, restart your Roku device before adding it back again. To restart your device, navigate to Settings>System>Power>System restart. (If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step.)

Please keep in mind that these steps are complicated and need to be followed in order. We recommend doing it again and let's see if there are any changes after.

All the best,

Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos