Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ItsAmyZing
Channel Surfer

Re: YouTube going to black screen

Jump to solution

I am having the same exact issues on YouTube, Netflix, & Hulu. Brand new Roku, excellent internet connection. Any time I do all the things they request, the issues aren't replicated on their end & nothing we do fixes it. So, I'm at a loss. Feel like I wasted money "upgrading" my Roku right now... hope it all gets fixed for us somehow & soon!

0 Kudos
ItsAmyZing
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@Mr_James 

Wow, thank you! This just fixed my issues! Why isn't the Roku team just having us do this?! Such a simple fix. 

I hadn't messed with that setting cause I didn't understand what it was meant to do. Still doesn't matter, all I care about is being able to watch my stuff on my new Roku! Very much appreciated!

Brucewho

Jump to solution

That fixes it. What a stupid hidden setting. What’s wrong with you idiot Roku tech heads!

tim11
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Did I miss the fix from @Mr_James ?  What did it end up being? Went back through this thread and could not find anything

Same issue on my Roku Ultra.  Youtube TV running at 1080p on Samsung TV.  I have 2 other Ultra's and youtube working fine after update.

Issue is I Open Youtube, looks fine, as soon as any button is pressed on the remote, screen goes black and only way to get out is hitting the home button on the remote.  Only way to watch is to cast from phone or roku search and play direct from roku search results but still if any button is pressed screen goes black and app freezes.

0 Kudos
ItsAmyZing
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

His fix worked for me, but I couldn't tell you why. I'm not tech savvy. It seemed to have fixed a Netflix issue I'd been having, too. So glad he shared.

Mr_James
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@tim11 

The work around i found was to disable  "1 touch play" in Settings/System/Control other devices

Interesting thing i noticed in this thread was the Mod that was helping me has since retired... My original post requesting support, my follow up post with requested tracking id, and the post i made discovering the work around has all been removed.  Hopefully flagging your name will send an email to you so you can read my reply in case this gets removed as well. Not saying they are hiding things but......

Roku Ultra 4800RW, Roku Ultra 4660RW
Kerinbot
Channel Surfer

Re: [OS 12.0] YouTube going to black screen

Jump to solution

This has just started happening for me. In the last week, did they ever solve your problem? Or is it still ongoing? It looks like it's been a couple of months? If a solution was found, could you post it to this thread??

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Kerinbot,

A warm welcome here at the Roku Community! 

Thanks for reaching us here regarding your playback issues with the YouTube app. No worries. We're here to find you the best resolution possible.

Could you please specify which YouTube you are referring to? Is it the YouTube TV or YouTube app alone? In addition, have you tried to remove the app, perform a system reboot, then re-install the app? If not, kindly follow the steps provided below:

1. Remove the YouTube/TV app by highlighting it and pressing the Star (*) button
  2. Restart your Roku device/TV from Settings > System > System Restart
  3. Install the YouTube app again. Select Channel Store > Look for the YouTube/TV app > Click Add channel

Make sure to follow the steps precisely to work. If the issue is still persistent, please don't hesitate to let us know and we'd be more than happy to further assist you with this. We'll be looking forward to your response!

Thanks,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Mr_James
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@Kerinbot 

The work around i found was to disable  "1 touch play" in Settings/System/Control other devices

Roku Ultra 4800RW, Roku Ultra 4660RW
MaxieMo
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I would like to also say I have the same exact issue. Roku needs to address this in an update because the timing of this problem seems to line up with the last update. I've done EVERYTHING. In the process I even upgraded my modem and router and I'm getting awesome speeds now. Tried dumping the app and reloading, reseting my Roku 4k Ultra, clearing out YouTube cache, and changing  out HDMI cable. Nothing stops this. After several minutes the video pauses and goes to black screen. If I press enter or play on the Roku remote the video resumes. Imaging having to do this 5-6 times while trying to watch a video.

0 Kudos