Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
asandora

YouTube going to black screen

Jump to solution

Roku Ultra Updated a few weeks ago (didn't note the update version at the time). All was working except for YouTube. YouTube after a few seconds would go to a black screen. If I hit the up arrow on the remote it would come back. On the YouTube settings screen it appeared to be changing resolution. I tried every suggestion and the only thing that worked was a complete reset to factory settings.

Fast forward to today, it began again. I went to the Roku settings and sure enough, it updated at 3:54 am to Software Version 12.0.0 Build 4184. There is obviously a conflict with this update and YouTube but maybe it only effects certain devices connected to certain TV's. 

I have a Roku Ultra connected to a Panasonic TV via HDMI. Internet is connected wireless. This forum is the only thing I could find to post this information. I will try resetting again and turning off auto update which is not the best thing to do but what choice do I have?

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MaxGolden

YouTube Screen Going Black Every Few Seconds

Jump to solution

I see that everyone is experiencing this issue and see no solutions. I found one intellect who gave the answer to all our problems. I don’t recall exactly how, but you simply need to turn off “1-Touch Option” in the settings of Roku. Don’t ask me how because I don’t remember. I hope this helped everyone more than the Roku staff could.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
63 REPLIES 63
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: YouTube going to black screen

Jump to solution

Hi @asandora,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

Thanks for letting us know about the behavior you are seeing with the screen going black when playing content on the Youtube channel. We would be happy to look at what we can do to help you to make sure we are providing the best streaming experience.

Can you please verify if the issue only occurs on the Youtube channel or all channels on your Roku device?

We recommend performing the below steps and see if you can resolve the issue:

1. Remove the channel from the Roku device
  2. Power cycle the Roku device, by disconnecting it from the power cable and reconnecting the device back to the power
  3. Re-add the channel back to the Roku device

If the issue persists, please refer to the support article here for additional troubleshooting steps: How to resolve a channel playback issue | Official Roku Support

Please let us know if the issue is fixed or reply back to the thread for further assistance, we will be glad to help you.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: [OS 12.0] YouTube going to black screen

Jump to solution

Hi @Mr_James,

Thanks for letting us know about the behavior you are seeing when playing content on Youtube with your Roku device and we appreciate the troubleshooting steps you've done so far and providing the information needed. 

In addition to the information you have provided, can you please provide the tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue arise, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)?

We look forward to your responses and gathering your details.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
justinhoyt

Jump to solution

I am also seeing this same issue on one TV.

We have a second TV - Roku combination that does not have this issue. 

If uploading additional information would help please reply and I can get that information.

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Mr_James,

Thanks for providing all the information we requested and we're sorry for the inconvenience.

We'll send this over to the Roku team for investigation. We'll get back to you once an update is available I'll be sure to let the Community know.

We're hoping to get everything sorted out soon and appreciate you bearing with us in the meantime.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @justinhoyt,

Please be advised that we are currently aware of the issue and our appropriate team is working diligently to resolve the issue. In the meantime, if you are having an issue with your Roku device screen goes black when playing content with YouTube. Please help us with the required details requested from my previous post so we can send additional information for further investigation to our engineering team.

We appreciate your patience while we investigate this issue and we look forward to your responses and gathering your details.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Mr_James,

Thanks for following up about the issue with the screen going black when playing content on the Youtube channel.

The team is hard at work investigating the issue, we still haven't received any feedback back as of the moment but rest assured that we'll send the update once we have it.

We appreciate your patience while we investigate this issue.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
xxchet22xx

Jump to solution

I’m experiencing this same issue on YouTube only  

I just hooked up my Roku 4800x after several months in storage. I updated all software and experienced a black screen after about 5-10 seconds using the YouTube app. The video will continue for another 5-10 seconds if you push an arrow key, followed by another black screen. It doesn’t happen with any other apps.

here’s what I’ve tried so far:

• I replaced the hdmi cable and cleaned the contacts. Same issue.
  • I removed YouTube—>system restart—>reinstalled YouTube. Same issue. 
  • I adjusted the display settings. Same issue
  • Performed a factory reset. Same issue.

Issue Report Tracker

Model 4800X - Roku Ultra

Serial Number: X010008Y9JEG (S02A211Y9JEG)

software version 12.0.0 - build 4184-C2

GC version: 9.2.113

timestamp: 2023-05-25T22:27:36Z

issue ID EG-208-707

please keep me posted on this issue. 

RokuMaresa
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @xxchet22xx

Thank you so much for sharing this with us.
We have passed along your concerns and details to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further. Once more information is available, we will make sure to update this thread.

We appreciate your patience and understanding.

All the best,

Mares

MaresH.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
TheGormys

Re: YouTube going to black screen

Jump to solution

I am experiencing the exact same issue with YouTube. I even bought a new Roku and the problem got worse. 

Additionally, Netflix also pauses roughly every 10 seconds. Hulu will pause a single time and play through after hitting play again. 

I have followed the trouble shooting steps outlined in other posts. My internet connection is strong.

What is the issue with these two different models of Roku I own?