Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bdex
Reel Rookie

No sound after ads on Hulu

Just recently every time ads come on hulu, my sound goes out after. I have to exit the show and hit resume show for it to come back on. I have a Hisense roku and a sony roku. Seems to do it on both.

44 REPLIES 44
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: No sound after ads on Hulu

Hi @Bdex,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

Thanks for posting regarding a playback issue on the Hulu channel. In some cases, removing the channel and then reinstalling it may help. To ensure the process is successful, follow the steps below, making sure you restart your Roku device before adding the channel again.

• Remove the channel. Highlight the channel tile on your home screen and press the Star button on your Roku remote to open the Options menu. Select Remove channel and confirm.
  • Restart your Roku device: Home > Settings > System > Power. "If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step." System restart.
  • Reinstall the channel. Visit the Roku Channel Store and add the channel again.

Please keep us posted on how it goes!

All the best,

Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Psquared
Reel Rookie

I’m having the same problem. I tried removing the Hulu channel, restarting the tv and reloading the channel but still having the issue of loosing sound after commercials. Getting really annoying. If it keeps up I’ll have to cancel my Hulu subscription.

RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Psquared,

Thanks for keeping us posted!

We would be more than happy to look into this issue, and we'll need more information. Can you please provide us with the following information:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version. (These can all be found in Settings > System > About).
  • Does this issue occur specifically on the Hulu channel? If so, what version/build is the channel? (This can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button).
  • Tracker ID when this issue occurs. (When you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID).
  • Steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have this information, we will be able to investigate further.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
Sudds94

I'm having the same issue with sound problems after ads on Hulu. Today I'm not using the sound bar and there has not been a problem. So that makes me believe it's definitely the sound bar. And it only started happening about 2 weeks ago and only on Hulu 

0 Kudos
Bdex
Reel Rookie

I do not have a sound bar but yea started 2 weeks ago and only on Hulu. No other streaming platforms are affected.

Bdex
Reel Rookie

Removed hulu. Reset Roku, including clearing cache, reinstalled hulu...same issue. No other platforms do this, Netflix, discovery + , and peacock work fine

theanykey
Channel Surfer

This is not a TV specific issue and no changing of settings or reinstalling fixes the problem. 

It's happening because the latest build of the Hulu app is not enforcing consistent audio decoding between the content and the ads or respecting the decoding format set in the settings. 

Hulu is partly to blame for not being consistent with the audio codecs used by their ads (they also have tons of issues with volume leveling and excessively loud ads) but this is something the Roku app should be able to handle. 

However, this no sound issue is 100% a problem that started with the latest build of the app and something Roku needs to address internally. 

RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi Community users,

We appreciate the additional information about this.

If the problem is isolated to the channel itself, this is a strong sign that the problem is most likely rooted within the channel itself and that the channel publisher will need to release an update in order to rectify the situation and fix the problem. We do not directly develop any channels. They are developed by the service provider themselves, and any problems that may be encountered must be reported directly to them in order to be addressed. You can contact Hulu Support here.

We are grateful that you have taken the time to inform us of this, and we will make it a point to communicate the nature of the problem that you are experiencing to the appropriate team that is responsible for developing the channel.

Thanks,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator

Hey quick tip that I do , just fast forward a few seconds and the sound comes back, no need to exit and come back