Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Blagmeister
Reel Rookie

No frame rate matching from Apple TV+ app on Roku Streaming Stick 4K

I have frame rate matching enabled and it works for Prime Video but Apple TV+ content and purchased iTunes content everything is locked at 60fps. I am outputting to a projector. 

I want my content to be displayed at its intended frame rate. I don't understand why anyone would want it differently. 

Is the Apple TV+ app on Roku Streaming Stick 4K broken in this regard? 

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

Re: No frame rate matching from Apple TV+ app on Roku Streaming Stick 4K

@Blagmeister 

The ATV app is framerate-locked to 60Hz like many of the top tier apps/services (e.g. NetFlix, Disney+, etc).

Occasionally an app update disables the framerate locking, but another app update re-enables it.

You'll have to contact/complain to Apple to change this.

Blagmeister
Reel Rookie

But why? It's not locked on an Apple TV. Hard to understand.

0 Kudos
OperatorD80
Streaming Star

@Blagmeister  This is Roku. The coding is entirely different. Apple develops the AppleTV channel for Roku. So there is a reason they limited FPS. Human eye can only detect between 30-60 FPS so anything above that is kind of meaningless 

UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

@Blagmeister 

You need to address this question to Apple (its their app, they code it).

To be fair to Apple, several of the top tier services/apps on Roku are framerate locked, but it doesnt change the fact that all the respective app developers chose framerate locking, including Apple for the ATV app.

Blagmeister
Reel Rookie

OK, thanks for answer. But I don’t want more than 60fps, I want less as in 24p and 50fps as most shows are produced at. I guess I’d have to ask Apple. 

0 Kudos