Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: No Dolby Vision on Prime Video Version 14.0 build 2022092823

@AJCxZ0 wrote:

At the same time I was again disappointed when watching season 3 of "Jack Ryan", which is advertised as having Dolby Vision, that this is still broken 

One thing I haven't seen mentioned on this thread is the lack of consistency of Prime Video and their offering of content with Dolby Vision. Amazon will advertise DV as available on a series, but they don't tell you it's only available on specific episodes of specific seasons. I believe Jack Ryan is one of those that advertises DV but it isn't on the entire series. I've had no difficulty with Dolby Vision watching HBO Max. Vudu, Movies Anywhere, or several other providers using my Ultra 4800. But I've rarely seen a DV title on Prime Video. And that's the fault of Amazon, not Roku.

As to Jack Ryan, I just tried Season 3 on my Shield, and it too only gave HDR on episode 1, so absolutely the fault of Amazon.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
AJCxZ0
Streaming Star

@atc98092,

This is a very good point and after checking the advertised HDR formats advertised for "Jack Ryan" S3E1 I see that I was mistaken and that it only advertises "HDR", which in this case is HDR10. Thank you for catching this.

Checking an episode of "Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power", which is certainly advertised as streaming in Dolby Vision, it is still only streaming in HDR10+.

Of course we can and should not hold Roku responsible for any false advertising of content by app publishers on their platform. At the same time, Roku can and should enforce terms and conditions which (I hope) forbid app publishers from doing so. In any case, Roku certainly can advise us in a timely fashion of the status of actual issues or cases in which the problem is specific to a user, device or other factor.

0 Kudos
TallGuy91
Reel Rookie

@AJCxZ0 

For what it's worth, I was able two watch the first two episodes of Rings of Power in Dolby Vision when the show first premiered, and it stopped playing in Dolby Vision after about a week. And I know other people are able to watch it in Dolby Vision on non-Roku platforms, so it does seem to be a technical problem either on Roku or Amazon's end and not just an issue of false advertising.

0 Kudos