Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atgtorr91

Netflix <>Roku Player Streaming Issue Solve

Hey Folks,

Im currently using Roku TV on my Sharp brand TV.

Hardware ID - 7202X
Software Version - 12.5.5 - Build 4174-38 (Up-To-Date) as of this post.

After various testing to try to solve for this unfortunately issue with Roku Media Players and the Netflix app, 

I've come to identify a couple of things.

The Netflix App now seems to be caching itself and no longer is fully closing after each use.. (You often no longer see the Netflix logo and profile icons appear and the app jumps back where you left off)

This has often lead to me experiencing 

1 - The dreaded video Pause after like 15 seconds of attempting to watch a show
2 - Delays in the Netflix app itself, adjusting volume or pausing.

The only solve for this i've been able to find is to

1 - Within the Netflix App, click on the Get Help then scroll down to Reload Netflix or Exit Netflix.

This will clear the cache and allow for you to run the app smoothly for at least a couple of days from what i've seen.

2-  The System>Power>Restart method  (That is clearing the entire system cache)

Im very much under the impression that the computing on the built in Roku player is not able to handle the Jump Back In style the Netflix app is trying to provide causing the Roku player to just run out of memory and become laggy.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Emissary35
Roku Guru

Re: Netflix <>Roku Player Streaming Issue Solve

This is why it's a good idea to not use the actual apps built into smart TVs. They have slow clunky processors with not enough ram and the performance is terrible.

You are much better off ignoring the built in apps and connecting a streaming player to one of the HDMI inputs instead, you will get a much better performance.

I think when it comes to Roku TVs people are fooled into thinking that the software and app experience is going to be just as good as using a high end Roku player like the Roku Ultra, it isn't.

0 Kudos