Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Thamilton
Reel Rookie

Need to uninstall a subscription app

Jump to solution

Hello, I am in a bind, I need to uninstall an app but can't because it is a subscription app, Crunchyroll. The app has a bug or something in it that can happen and to fix it, you need to uninstall the app. I can't believe that Roku won't allow this. It is the only spot I watch the app sil o every day that goes by us money lost. How can I walk around this without having to wait until the subscription runs out? 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Need to uninstall a subscription app

Jump to solution

Hi @Thamilton

Thanks for your first post in the Roku Community!

We understand that you need assistance in removing the channel and having an issue playing content on the Crunchyroll channel. We'd be happy to take a closer look to see how we can help get you up and running.

Please note that if the channel you want to remove is billed to your Roku account, the subscription must first be canceled before the channel can be removed from your Roku device.

• Note:
    • If a subscription is canceled before the end of the billing cycle, you can continue to access the channel until the current billing cycle ends.
    • Channels cannot be removed at Roku.com.

We would like to take a few steps to ensure that we are offering the best service possible and assist you in resolving the playback issue with Crunchyroll. Follow these steps in order:

1. Navigate to the channel tile on the Roku home screen, press the * key on your remote, and choose 'Remove channel'.
  2. Next, restart your device from Settings > System > Power > System restart (If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step).
  3. After your Roku device restarts, visit the Roku Channel Store and add the channel again.

If the issue persists, please refer to the support article here for additional troubleshooting steps: How to resolve a channel playback issue | Roku

Please try doing this and see if it helps with what you're experiencing.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Thamilton

Thanks for your first post in the Roku Community!

We understand that you need assistance in removing the channel and having an issue playing content on the Crunchyroll channel. We'd be happy to take a closer look to see how we can help get you up and running.

Please note that if the channel you want to remove is billed to your Roku account, the subscription must first be canceled before the channel can be removed from your Roku device.

• Note:
    • If a subscription is canceled before the end of the billing cycle, you can continue to access the channel until the current billing cycle ends.

We would like to take a few steps to ensure that we are offering the best service possible and assist you in resolving the playback issue with Crunchyroll. Follow these steps in order:

1. Navigate to the channel tile on the Roku home screen, press the * key on your remote, and choose 'Remove channel'.
  2. Next, restart your device from Settings > System > Power > System restart (If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step).
  3. After your Roku device restarts, visit the Roku Channel Store and add the channel again.

If the issue persists, please refer to the support article here for additional troubleshooting steps: How to resolve a channel playback issue | Roku

Please try doing this and see if it helps with what you're experiencing.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Thamilton
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hello, I have cancelled the subscription through Roku, as it was done that way. It still has a while left on it. After doing this I have restarted the Roku and it does not give me the option to uninstall the app still. Just move it, or manage my subscription. I have also disassociated the device through Crunchyroll and restarted the Roku. Still no option to uninstall. Basic burning money at this point... Still looking for options to do this sooner than later. I can't believe I don't have an option to just uninstall anything regardless of subscription status.

0 Kudos
RokuJanadeeK
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Thanks for letting us know, @Thamilton.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.

You can try other steps in removing a channel provided in this support article on how to remove channels from your Roku streaming device.

We hope this helps. Please keep us updated so we can continue assisting.

Regards,
Janadee

Nadee K.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Thamilton
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Everything on this didn't work. Guess I will just wait the month or so until the subscription runs out... Waste of money... Only thing I didn't try was the factory reset but that will be a bigger hassle. Still can't believe I can't just remove an app at will.

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Thank you for letting us know, @Thamilton.

We sincerely apologize for any trouble and inconvenience this may have caused you. 

In this instance, we highly suggest reaching out to our Account and Billing team as they would be more than willing to sort this out for you regarding your subscriptions. Kindly select the Account, payments & subscriptions category for you to be able to choose whether to talk, email, or chat with one of our live experts. 

Let us know if you have further clarifications. Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Abellfam
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Is there any forthcoming solution to this?

I've got the same issue with crunchyroll and likewise I'm not inclined to wait for weeks for the subscription to run out just so I can uninstall it, re-install it, and start the subscription again. That's asinine!

What possible logic could you have for not allowing the uninstall of an app you're subscribed to? Uninstall followed by a reinstall is one of the most common solutions in the software world, and is used to fix bugs between versions constantly, what possible logic could your company have for not allowing this?

0 Kudos
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Abellfam,

Greetings from the Roku Community!

We're glad to assist you with your inquiry. Please be advised that when you are ready to remove a channel, first determine if the channel has a subscription and whether that subscription is billed to your Roku account.

1. Go to my.roku.com on your computer or smartphone.
  2. If prompted, sign in to your Roku account.
  3. Select Manage Your Subscriptions.

If the channel you want to remove is listed on this page, the subscription must first be canceled before the channel can be removed from your Roku device.

• Note:

We hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Nopwrintheverse
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I am also having this stupid problem, and it looks like i'll keep having it since Roku can't offer a better response than some booboo a bot cooked up. 

0 Kudos
Thamilton
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I hope that if people contact the sales people or whatever the last suggestion was for me that they get further than me. My subscription ran out recently and I was able to uninstall the app and reset the issue. For some reason it let me watch one episode of a subscription only show then booted me out. Roku needs to allow people to uninstall apps so people don't waste money...

0 Kudos