Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JP12
Reel Rookie

NFL App Won't Authenticate

I just purchased an NFL Plus Premium subscription.  I downloaded the NFL App on my Roku.  However, when I attempt to open the app I keep getting an NFL Application Error.  It says, "Sorry, but we were unable to authenticate your device and can't continue".  I removed and added the NFL app 3 times from the channel store and restarted my Roku device, all with no luck.  I can watch content without any problem on my computer.  I only want to watch game replays and the NFL.com website says I can do so on my Roku device.  My Roku is an old model- could this be the problem?

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Re: NFL App Won't Authenticate

Hello @JP12

Thanks for letting us know about the issue you're experiencing.

Please be advised that channel logins or authentication are handled directly by the channel developer. We suggest reaching out to NFL's customer support team to report the issue and get help. They can resolve the error you are having with channel authentication.

You can contact them here: NFL Support

We appreciate your understanding.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

@JP12 

An update to the NFL app was released today 8/24 to version  5.0.24 - try loading it again.

If it fails, do the following in order:

1) Remove the NFL app:  Highlight the NFL app and press Options (*) then Remove.

2) Restart your RokuSettings/System/<Power>/System restart/Restart  <-- MUST DO THIS HERE!!!

3) Reinstall NFL app and authenticate.

** If you do not RESTART your Roku device after removing the app, cached data/settings for the app remain behind and it will behave the same as before when reinstalled **

0 Kudos
JP12
Reel Rookie

Hi- Thanks so much for your information.  I followed the steps you suggested and got the same result.  I did notice that the NFL channel on my Roku is version 3.0 "build 2" (whatever that means).  I scrolled down and selected "Check for updates".  The response I got was "NFL is up to date".  The only other thing I can think of is that my old Roku, which is an early model I've had since they first came out, isn't working properly.  I will purchase a new model, install it, and try again.  If that fails I don't know what else to try.  I do appreciate your help and will let you know if the new Roku makes any difference.

0 Kudos
UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

@JP12 

Model # and firmware version do matter - older/oldest/legacy models have older (out-of-date) firmware versions which are often not compatible with newer app versions (they wont install on older RokuOS versions), which most likely explains your NFL app situation.

The NFL app will behave (and update) properly with a new model, and you will notice and enjoy the massive speed increase navigating the UI and using the device (along with new capabilities your legacy device most likely doesnt have).

0 Kudos
JP12
Reel Rookie

I purchased a new Roku Express and was able to download and authenticate my new device without difficulty.  I noticed the old model had the NFL version 3.0 and wouldn't install the update to version 5.0, so you were exactly right.  Thanks so much for the information!

0 Kudos
squweh

This does nothing. When I reinstall the app, it still won't recognize my account. 

All of the sudden, my NFL app on Roku does not recognize my account. I have removed the app and restarted the Roku system. This does nothing! What is going on? Please help!

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@squweh

Thanks for the post.

Can you please specify the issue you are experiencing? What Roku model device are you using? When removing the channel, are you making sure to restart the Roku device before adding the channel back again, specifically in that order?

In addition, have you already contacted the channel provider to see what further insight they can provide?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
msdickerson
Reel Rookie

We currently have abandoned using rokus this year because the nfl support will not discuss roku specific problems. We get error 403 forbidden. We have done r nfl trouble tickets all which reply with the same script which after doinf the actions on their script more than 4 times, nfl app still fails the same way.

0 Kudos
msdickerson
Reel Rookie

Did all that on sept 30 multiple times, still fails.

0 Kudos