Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
scarhill
Reel Rookie

Re: NESN 360 ap not in the Streaming Channel search

Thanks. That's basically the same thing the support rep told me on the phone yesterday. Meanwhile https://nesn.com/nesn360/ still says they have Roku support.

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

I haven't seen a response from Roku anywhere. If the developer has said they were surprised the app is not there, I would expect they would have reached out to Roku and hashed it out. If the app violated standards, if the app was pulled by mistake, if a new app was submitted and the old pulled before new rolled to production, I don't know. Could be any of those, or something totally different.

Maybe @RokuDanny-R , @RokuMary-F , or @RokuKariza-D will offer an update soon. I'm kinda surprised that they haven't, but that usually means the nature of the issue is something unusual and may not allow details to be shared. If legal has to approve a wording, but the developers can fix code in the same or shorter period of time as a legal review, they may remain silent since coders are cheaper than lawyers.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
scarhill
Reel Rookie

I'm pretty sure that NESN has had an app for a long time. What's changed is that they are now selling subscriptions themselves instead of just giving access to content to cable subscribers. So I suspect the issue is that Roku wants a share of the subscription revenue. If that's right, then it's the lawyers who will have to resolve it, and we probably won't hear much until they do.

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@scarhill wrote:

I'm pretty sure that NESN has had an app for a long time. What's changed is that they are now selling subscriptions themselves instead of just giving access to content to cable subscribers. So I suspect the issue is that Roku wants a share of the subscription revenue. If that's right, then it's the lawyers who will have to resolve it, and we probably won't hear much until they do.

Roku's standards require that all subscription apps allow the user to subscribe via Roku if the user wants. It does not require the user subscribe via Roku Pay, but the user must have that option. If NESN changed the app to include a direct subscription model, then Roku requires the code allow Roku Pay as an option. And if that is what happened, then the app won't return until NESN codes to the standards.

Netflix, Hulu, Disney, all the services allow Roku Pay as a subscription option because, well, that's the rules. Just like Apple has similar rules on their platform.

Personally, I never use that method (via Roku nor Apple for subscriptions), but it's always there should I change my mind (I won't). And, yes, if a subscriber uses Roku Pay, then Roku gets a cut, just like Apple gets a cut for subscriptions via Apple's services on Apple TV devices.

If it's an issue such as that, then I don't expect Roku to offer any statement.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Lbojo

Re: NESN 360 App not found in channel store

Following.....This was the only reason I picked a Roku was for the NESN app which appears to not be available.   I tried to live chat multiple times unsuccessfully.

0 Kudos
CelticsFan
Roku Guru

@Lbojo  The NESN channel for Roku is now NESN 360. But it only available to people who live in New England. 

0 Kudos
newtnik
Reel Rookie

Just got an email from NESN saying it's back.  

"We are pleased to inform you that the NESN 360 app has returned to the Roku app store and is now available for download."