Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Yroc

My TV is stuck on HDMI input source

Jump to solution

Hello,

I'm an new Roku user so my question may be an easy one.  I have a TV in which a Roku Ultra device is connected.  I changed the input source to HDMI where my Roku stick is attached.  I watched Roku content.  I then switched it back to "TV mode".  However, every time I press a button on my regular TV remote, my TV switches automatically back to HDMI input to display the Roku menu.  Does anyone know how to avoid this problem?

I temporarily removed the Roku device from the HDMI port to restore TV operation.  But when I plug back in the Roku device, the same problem appears.  I know I can likely do a factory reset of my Roku device to fix this issue, but I shouldn't have to.  

Any help would be appreciated.  

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: My TV is stuck on HDMI input source

Jump to solution

@Yroc-

That is an odd one.

If you have "1-touch play" enabled on your Roku see if disabling it makes any difference.  You'' find it via Roku menu path Settings > System > Control other devices.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
makaiguy

Jump to solution

@Yroc-

That is an odd one.

If you have "1-touch play" enabled on your Roku see if disabling it makes any difference.  You'' find it via Roku menu path Settings > System > Control other devices.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Yroc

Jump to solution

OMG That was it!  I had no idea that this setting even existed.  It was turned on by default.  No one else in my household turned that on.  Now that I disabled the 1-touch setting, I can enter and exit Roku like I am supposed to.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
makaiguy

Jump to solution

@Yroc-

Glad it worked for you, but it was really a lucky stab in the dark.

What Roku calls "1-touch play" implements one of the features in the industry's CEC (Consumer Electronic Control) protocol over HDMI connections.

This works as intended on both of the TVs to which I have Rokus connected.  All I need to do is press a key on the Roku remote and the TV automatically switches to the correct HDMI port to display the Roku, first turning the TV on if necessary.   (It doesn't actually turn on a TV that has totally powered down - the TV must be in a "quick start" standby state that monitors the ports.)   Similarly, pressing a button on my connected DirecTV receiver's remote will switch the TV to that HDMI port.  I find this to be a great convenience.

Since I don't have cable or a live antenna hooked up to the TV, all my viewing is via Roku or Directv.  I seldom need to use the TV's remote at all since both my Roku and Directv remotes can control the TV's power and audio volume directly.

Pressing keys on the remotes of neither of my TV's switches the TV to a different input, except of course for those those keys that are for direct source control.

If your TV remote keys other than source/input keys switch to the Roku's port, that sounds very unusual.  What make and model TV is it?

When you exit the Roku, do you return to the Roku home screen first to stop it from streaming anything?  Neither of my sets does this but perhaps your TV is sensing activity on the Roku's HDMI port other than a CEC command signal and switching automatically?  Have you checked your TV's manual for information on this?

0 Kudos