Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SblackAZ
Channel Surfer

My Netflix suddenly stopped working/performing

Not sure if this is related, but the other day late at night a RUM micro site app appeared on my Home Screen. It was where my Netflix app is usually displayed on my Home Screen (first). I went to options and removed it. I can’t recall if I actually clicked on the app or not. 

The next morning, and continuing since then, Netflix won’t work on my Roku. The RUM app is no longer there, but Netflix just won’t work. 

When clicking on Netflix I either get a black page, or with patience my queue comes on but only one preview displays on the Home Screen… nothing else appears, there are no images; it’s just black and gray and the title of the category/row. As you keep scrolling down, it’s the same thing over and over. But oddly, when clicking on a movie (hitting enter on remote) whatever I selected plays fine. The problem is, I have no idea what I am selecting because THERE ARE NO TITLES and the Home Screen is black. It’s hit or miss on my other Roku in another room.  It either won’t open at all and I get an error message NW-8-20 (or something like that). Or it’s black boxes and not titles just like the above. 

These are the things I have tried to remedy this:

I reset my Netflix password.

I updated the Netflix app.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the Netflix app.

I have unplugged the Roku stick waited a couple minutes and replugged in.

I did system restart from menu 

I went to settings and manually checked for update. 

Nothing is working - still - it very frustrating. I should also note that our other Roku in another room is also giving an error message when Netflix is clicked.

What’s going on? How do I fix this? Why is my Netflix Home Screen going wack?
Is this somehow connected to that weird app that appeared? What the heck was the app anyways? 

0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
robertrocks2342
Channel Surfer

Re: My Netflix suddenly stopped working/performing

When clicking on Netflix I either get a black page, or with patience my queue comes on but only one preview displays on the Home Screen… nothing else appears, there are no images; it’s just black and gray and the title of the category/row. As you keep scrolling down, it’s the same thing over and over. But oddly, when clicking on a movie (hitting enter on remote) whatever I selected plays fine. The problem is, I have no idea what I am selecting because THERE ARE NO TITLES and the Home Screen is black. 

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @SblackAZ @robertrocks2342,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention at Roku Community!

We would like to suggest specifically following these steps to try removing the channel from the Roku home screen by navigating to the channel tile, pressing the * key on your remote, and choosing 'Remove channel'. Then restart your device from Settings>System>System restart. Once your player starts up again, add the channel back once more.

In addition to this @SblackAZ, please be noted that the RUM micro site issue has been resolved and for more information, feel free to check this thread.

Keep us posted with what you find out.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
robertrocks2342
Channel Surfer

Thank you for sharing your recommendation. Thanks allot

SblackAZ
Channel Surfer

I was hopeful your suggestion would work. I clicked on Netflix and removed the app. I then went to system restart. I waited and then reinstalled. I logged in, got excited when I saw the Netflix logo pop up, but then it was black with gray boxes again. So unfortunately this did not remedy the problem. I just don’t understand what is going on. Any other suggestions? 

0 Kudos
SblackAZ
Channel Surfer

This could be a Netflix issue. I will work with them too on getting it resolved. 

0 Kudos
SblackAZ
Channel Surfer

After speaking to more and more of my friends we began to piece together that those that have the same internet provider as us were having issues with Netflix too. So we called our provider, WeLink, and they stated that they were aware of the problem and many many customers were experiencing the same issue. So looks to be a provider issue… that just oddly enough occurred at the exact moment this RUM micro site same up. So weird. Still no luck getting Netflix to work properly but we may be one step closer. I really hope it’s resolved soon. 🤞

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
pammc

Now in July 2022…

I am in NC and have Spectrum. Netflix stopped working on my Roku devices and tvs 2 days ago. Have done ALL the troubleshooting steps SEVERAL times. Have contacted my ISP and Roku and Philips support. Nothing!  Netflix won’t load. All other streaming apps still work.  ???

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Hello @pammc

We're here to help!

Could you tell us specifically what happens when you launch the Netflix channel? Please provide us as well the troubleshooting you've done so we know what steps we should take next. 

With more information, we can assist you further.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
winsur

I have a similar problem with a 4630X.  The Netflix logo comes up on the screen but does not open.  Sometimes when I leave it for an hour plus it opens.  Other days it opens immediately.  I have also gotten multiple error messages from Roku.  That has not happened recently.  Do I need to replace it with a new model?

0 Kudos