Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rglover
Reel Rookie

Re: Media player won't work for my roku 3 after the last update

Update:

I have confirmed what other users have reported:

After the OS11 update the roku media player will not recognize any USB HDD no matter the size or the file format. It WILL recognize a thumb drive, but only with FAT32 format (which typically has to be no more than 32GB).

While we're on the subject of RMP, I would like to make additional comments. I tried searching the forum for a more appropriate place and could not find a relevant one, so forgive me if this is not the right space.

A year or two ago, an update made some substantial changes to the functionality of the RMP, and not good ones. Before, while playing a video and pausing or FF, the progress bar indicated the 'elapsed' time on the left and the 'remaining' time on the right. After the update, the indication on the right was a static 'total time' of the video while the left still indicated 'elapsed' time. I noticed with the OS11 update it has changed back to 'remaining' time on the right. This is much more useful than the static 'total time'. PLEASE LEAVE THIS CHANGE AS IS.

Also after the older update, the 'Resume' indication was affected. If the video is stopped within 3-4 minutes from the end, the video is reset back to the start and cannot be resumed, only started from the beginning. I rely on the 'Resume' indication to keep track of which videos in a series I have watched. It would be most helpful to be able to watch close to the end (credits) and still have the 'Resume' indicated.

The last issue is automatically starting the next video without choice. This is very annoying and should be a user option.

Actually, in my opinion, any 'features' should be options available via settings.

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@rglover wrote:

Also after the older update, the 'Resume' indication was affected. If the video is stopped within 3-4 minutes from the end, the video is reset back to the start and cannot be resumed, only started from the beginning. I rely on the 'Resume' indication to keep track of which videos in a series I have watched. It would be most helpful to be able to watch close to the end (credits) and still have the 'Resume' indicated.

That's actually the way most online providers, as well as player apps on other devices work as well. They figure you've reached the credits and have completed the movie. HBO Max and Disney+ both do the same thing. I use Kodi as my media player on the Shield, and it marks a video complete if you stop close to the end. 

There are other ways to know what the last episode watched was, but it entails using a media server instead of connecting the drive directly to the Roku. Plex and Emby both know where you left off. I use Serviio as a DLNA server, and RMP for playing on the Roku. For TV episodes, Serviio puts an asterisk (*) next to the season last watched, and when you open the season the last watched episode has the same mark. If your media is in the MP4 or MKV container, then resume is still available as well. TS/M2TS container resume and pause has been broken in RMP for quite some time, and I can't get an answer from the Roku developer about what's being done about it.  

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Phorrest
Streaming Star

Adding my name to the growing list of users reporting that the 11.0 OS "upgrade" has broken the USB port on their Roku 3's (4230X).

I have tried both NTFS and FAT32 formatting, USB 2.0 vs. USB 3.0, 16 GB vs. 256 GB, in every possible permutation (note that I use "FAT32Format GUI" to format drives greater than 32 GB for FAT32).  All variations worked on the same Roku device prior to the update to 11.0, and with the same USB thumb drives.  Now none of them do as of April 20, 2022.

Model: Roku 3 (4230X)

S/N: 4E756C013239

Connection type: Ethernet

0 Kudos
Drae
Binge Watcher

Re: Roku 3 stopped recognizing USB device after software update

I have the same issue.  I reinstalled the player with no change.

0 Kudos
SharGaga

I literally have the same problem with my Roku 3. It's been 8 minutes since the software updated to 11.0 and all of a sudden my external drive is no longer supported. The same happened with my other Roku 3.0 a few weeks back but I thought USB plug in broke or something but it is the software update that is making this happen. How come Roku hasn't said or done anything? This is super frustrating. We should be able to roll back to 10.5 until this matter is resolved. It's been weeks and we know nothing.

0 Kudos
DrTroy

Hard drive plugged into the USB port won’t work

Hard drive plugged into the USB port won’t work since the last update. Never had any problems until now playing from my hard drive using the Roku Media Player. In fact it’s the only reason I have a Roku. Might be time to throw it in the garbage if they can’t fix it with an update and fast!

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Re: Hard drive plugged into the USB port won’t work

Roku devices aren't always running the same OS. Some devices are getting 10.5 updates, some are getting 11.0 updates. So, rather than say things like "last update" it's a good idea to actually list the OS version and build. That could make a difference. Settings > System > About

You also haven't said what size HD you're using. There may be a limit to how much it will see. How big is the drive? And how much content is on the drive? Did you add any recently?

There could be different reasons for what you're encountering, though it coinciding with an update would tend to favor that as the reason. But the other questions may help uncover something that gets an answer sooner rather than later.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
JayMettler

USB won't work for my roku 3 after the last update

after updating my roku 3 to the current version of the software my roku cant recognise my usb drive. any help or better still please fix the bug

0 Kudos
Macwarrior
Channel Surfer

Roku Media Player Not Working

I have the same problem. I have the Roku ultra. I've had it for about 10 years with no issues at all until a few days ago. My RMP stopped recognizing any MP4. I've played these same videos for years but now it doesn't see any of them.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Re: Roku Media Player Not Working

@Macwarrior so you can't play an MP4, or it's not even visible in RMP? I haven't had any problem with playing MP4s, so need to understand exactly what you're seeing. Also, are you playing from DLNA server, or are the files on a USB drive connected directly to the Ultra?

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos