Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Barr1
Reel Rookie

Media player won't work for my roku 3 after the last update

My media player won't work for my roku 3 since the last update.

0 Kudos
157 REPLIES 157
EvilBert1
Binge Watcher

Roku 3 no longer recognizes Seagate external USB

After 5+ years of working, my Roku 3 longer recognizes my Seagate 2.5T external NTFS USB hard drive.  The problem started about 2 weeks ago (3/15/22).  The Roku 3 also fails to recognize a similar Western Digital 3T NTFS drive.  The external drives are externally powered.  I have tried different electrical outlets and, different USB cables. The traditional way I connected the drive was to have the Roku device powered up, then connect the powered up USB drive.  I have also tried powering up and connecting the USB drive first, then powering up the Roku device.  The external drives still work with my desktop computer.  The Roku drive can still recognize and play from my 8GB USB flash drives.

As this problem started just two weeks after five years of successful operation and these drives still work with my Windows desktop, I suspect the problem is due to a recent Roku software upgrade.  Has anybody else had this issue?  Does anyone know how to correct it? 

Streamer317
Roku Guru

Re: Roku 3 no longer recognizes Seagate external USB

The Roku 3 was released back in 2013. So it’s about 9 years and no longer manufactured. It’s long out lived the normal life expectancy of 3-5 years. Best bet is to upgrade. Are you running Roku OS 11?

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@EvilBert1, did your Roku recently "upgrade" to version 11.0?  You can check under Settings->System->About.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
EvilBert1
Binge Watcher

Thanks for your response.

Yes, I am running version 11.0 4161-04.  I am reluctant to upgrade to a new Roku device as these external hard drives are only failing on my Roku after several years of success and the hard drives still work on my Windows desktop.  This hints heavily that a software upgrade has caused the problem.  

If I buy a new Roku, I would wish assurance that these hard drives could work on the new device.

0 Kudos
Streamer317
Roku Guru

You can always buy a Roku Ultra from Best Buy, Target or Walmart and see what happens. If it does not change anything then return it. Could it be Roku OS 11? Maybe. But you cannot roll back. 

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Bringing this to the attention of @RokuDanny-R in case someone at Roku wants to look into the software version 11.0 connection.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Streamer317
Roku Guru

@renojim  Good idea. Unfortunately Danny just seems to copy and paste the same response to everyone. 

"Can you please provide the serial number of your Roku device from Settings>System>About? I'll be able to assist you further from there."

0 Kudos
EvilBert1
Binge Watcher

I appreciate your offer of assistance.  May I ask who you are before I provide you my serial number?

0 Kudos
Streamer317
Roku Guru

@EvilBert1   I was quoting what Danny would ask you. A serial number doesn’t contain any personal information. Just about everything made out there in this world has a serial number. The serial number for your Roku was put on it the day it was manufactured. It has absolutely nothing to do with you personally

0 Kudos