Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stavia
Channel Surfer

Re: Max Subtitles/Closed Captions not working

I’m so glad this is working for people. If you have trouble finding a show with Spanish subtitles, I was watching The Righteous Gemstones. 😆 

0 Kudos
Stavia
Channel Surfer

Depends on the show. Not every show has multiple subtitle options. I was watching The Righteous Gemstones.

0 Kudos
txazgal1
Channel Surfer

I completely agree with this post. I am hearing impaired so the Max content is useless to me without closed captioning.

Although I have enjoyed my subscription to Max for the past 12 months, this situation is unacceptable. I am prepared to cancel my subscription before it renews if Max does not resolve the problem.

garygNC
Reel Rookie

Amazingly the weird workaround finally worked last night. We watched a show on Prime with captions, no issues, then switched to Max to watch Treme. No CC. Went to the * menu and switched language to Spanish and the captions appeared; switched back to English and they stayed on screen in English. Who knows what will happen tonight? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

HAVOK3
Reel Rookie

Worked for me but I have to do it every time I use the MAX app it’s annoying😮💨

0 Kudos
oppositegirl1
Reel Rookie

Re:  Roku 3820X streaming stick 4k.

As I said in an earlier post, the Spanish/English fix worked--but only about 3 days, and then I had to do it again.   And it doesn't work continuously for the "On Replay."   When you first do "The Fix,"  it works on the replay, but only until you switch shows or leave Max.  Better than nothing, I suppose. 

Roku has said that it is a MAX issue, but then why do I only have the problem with the streaming stick.   Captions on our other Roku and laptop work normally.  I hope Roku is working with MAX to figure this out. 

0 Kudos
andyross
Roku Guru

Different Roku devices have different processors and libraries to control things. It may only be certain ones that are triggering the Max bug.

0 Kudos
Aprilneo
Reel Rookie

I read this 'fix' on reddit. Tried it and it worked BUT then last night the CC stopped working AGAIN! Tried to go to settings and the Spanish option has disappeared. I am so frustrated I'm about to cancel. 

0 Kudos
Aprilneo
Reel Rookie

CC was working fine before. All of a sudden it stopped. I have a ROKU smart TV and this doesn't happen anywhere else. I have Netflix, HULU, Paramount +, Crackle, TUBI, YouTube, Prime, plus more. Nowhere else do I have this problem EXCEPT Max. I have done everything to correct this. Checked other sites for info, done all the hacks and tricks (which no one should HAVE to do) like switching from English to Spanish (which as of now there is NO option for Spanish even showing) uninstalling/reinstalling, and it worked for a day then went right back to NO CC. This is ridiculous and I'm close to just canceling the MAX channel. I realize HBO Max is responsible but since we are paying through ROKU shouldn't you be able to fix this? 

Aprilneo
Reel Rookie

Same thing happened with me. I read about the English/Spanish trick on Reddit. Tried it the other night and it worked. Then last night CC wasn't working once again. Tried to switch languages and switch back and Spanish was nowhere to be found. I'm just about finished with this. Why pay for something that doesn't work and they don't seem to care about fixing this bug? 

0 Kudos