Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stavia
Channel Surfer

Re: Max Subtitles/Closed Captions not working

When you pause there is a small captions icon in the lower left. Click over to that and you get the audio and subtitle options.

0 Kudos
Sophie987
Reel Rookie

I have different Roku devices and they don't all seem to work in exactly the same way, but with the Roku Ultra: while the show is playing, I press the asterisk (*) button on the Roku remote and then scroll down to Accessibility & Captions. At that point, there's a Captioning Track option that can be used to toggle between Spanish and English.

0 Kudos
RokuAnjelie
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hello Community users, 

Thanks for posting here in the Roku community! 

We understand that you are experiencing difficulties with the subtitles on your Max. Have you checked if the closed captioning is turned on in the settings? If not, please refer to our support page on how to enable it. However, if you have already checked and the issue persists, we recommend contacting the channel provider's support directly. This issue may only affect this channel across different platforms, as most channels are managed directly by their providers. Contacting the provider's support team will provide the best solution to this problem.

Thanks,

Anjelie

Anjelie A.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
jdseymour
Reel Rookie

This bug is insidious.  I tried all the tricks people suggested and got the CC to work briefly, but then it went away again.

I'm watching S2E8 of Industry - but I don't think that matters as S4E8 of Titans behaves the same way.

Meanwhile, captioning works fine when using the Max app on my Android tablet, so this is clearly a bug with the Roku app.  My guess is that all we can do is wait for whoever's responsible to fix it.

Mguy
Channel Surfer

The ROKU Max app close captions stopped working and I have not been able to get it to start working. I'm now using the MAX app on my Smart TV. The Smart TV App is working OK for now.   

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @jdseymour @Mguy,

Thanks for posting here in the Roku Community!

We understand that you've encountered an issue with closed captions not working. For us to better understand the issue, what channel/s are you trying to access when this issue happens? Also, what troubleshooting steps have you taken to resolve the issue?

With more detailed information, we'll be able to assist further.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
jdseymour
Reel Rookie

@RokuTakashi, look at the title of this thread.  Or better yet, read it.

wrp37170

I think I've discovered how to fix the problem.  Make sure the setting for closed captions if turned off on your Roku device before you go to Max.  Then turned the closed captions on for Max.  It worked for me.  Hope it works for you.  

0 Kudos
andyross
Roku Guru

Max updated their app roughly Wednesday (Roku rolls out updates). It's most likely a bug and up to Max to fix it. Plus, WarnerDiscovery has been having back-end issues for a few weeks. The TCM Watchlist was one of the most noticeable and has posts about it here I think.

fourputt

I'm having the same problem with a Premium 3920. It started about a week ago ~mid July 2023.

Tried rebooting, checking for updates, removing and re-adding channel. Nuthin.

I believe it's a Roku issue. I can play on an iOS device with Max app and get closed captions.