Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bcx
Channel Surfer

Live TV sticks on channels, won't exit

Roku 2710X

Build 11.0.0 4195-06

Remote can leave app programs like NBC or Netflix with back arrow button to return to channel menu.

Live TV channels will not stop streaming despite multiple times pressing the back or home buttons.

I have to unplug at the device.

I changed batteries in the simple remote.

0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
CelticsFan
Roku Guru

Re: Live TV sticks on channels, won't exit

The Roku 2710 is very old and outdated. It was released back in 2013. It is in your best interest to upgrade to a newer generation device. 

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@bcx 

You said the issue is with Live TV channels. Most of that is actually launching Roku Channel. So, rather than using the Live TV section of the main menu, if you instead go to Roku Channel and watch live content there, does the issue still occur?

What about from other live streaming apps? Does it happen with content from, say, Xumo or Pluto TV? Trying to determine if it's something overall with the device, or with one app (Roku Channel) specifically.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
StevenCee
Roku Guru

@DBDukes I have the same thing happening, pretty regularly. It's only when using the Roku Channel Live TV channels. It will just stay on one, and neither hitting the back button, seeking another channel via the program guide, & then clicking OK, nor manually hitting the up or down channel buttons will change it. I also, must turn off the TV, turn it on again, and usually it will begin working normally, although it sometimes takes doing that twice.

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@StevenCee 

User @bcx reported that hitting the Home button didn't exit either. Are you encountering that? Note that I'm not able to replicate the issue, so I'm wanting to make sure that I'm actually performing the same steps, but getting different results.

Oh, and has this always been the case? Did things previously work on Roku Channel as you would have expected? Or is this a new thing? Or have you only recently begun using Roku Channel?

DBDukes

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
bcx
Channel Surfer

This sticking started about 5 days ago.

It happens both trough the Roku channel and the Live TV entry points.

Also, the captions start, then stop.

0 Kudos
bcx
Channel Surfer

This does not happen with Netflix and NBC.

0 Kudos
bcx
Channel Surfer

That is what is happening to me.

I am using an old Roku so I just unplug it.

0 Kudos
bcx
Channel Surfer

I am looking at a replacement.

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@bcx wrote:

... It happens both trough the Roku channel and the Live TV entry points. ...

Most of the Live TV items from that section on the Main Menu are actually shortcuts to Roku Channel. When you launch them, you'll see Roku Channel on the splash. Have you encountered any that don't say Roku Channel, and if so, does the issue appear from those as well?

I'm thinking it's something Roku Channel related, and the Live TV menu piece is in the mix only because of the Roku Channel items it launches. However, if you've seen content that's not Roku Channel with the issue, let us know.

Assuming Roku Channel is the actual issue, try 1) removing the app, 2) rebooting the Roku, and 3) reinstalling the app, all three steps in that order. Does that help?

DBDukes

0 Kudos