Channels & viewing

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Werecow91
Level 9

Re: New Roku Media Player 7-1-2020

I've used Plex on my win 10 PC for years, also have it on all my roku's.. put it on so I could share all my media files on my roku's and use their media server.. the new update from Roku on their media player has killed that.. I used it for audiobooks mainly and the new playing interfere has destroyed it. Cannot turn the display off with screensaver, will not save your place, you cannot even see where you were in a audio trac after the wandering block starts up.. go ahead and try it... Anyhoo... My point is, I already installed and have Plex set up so I can do all of this, now because Roku decided to futz around with the code I need to install something different on my PC just to do the same frakkin thing I've been doing for the last 7 years?? Please... Makes me wanna just turn all my flat screens back into huge monitors and run over all my roku's in the frakkin driveway.... 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Media Player update is TERRIBLE

@Werecow91 wrote:

Try it!! It doesn't work!!!!

Tried what, and what doesn't work?

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
atc98092

@Werecow91 wrote:

I've used Plex on my win 10 PC for years, also have it on all my roku's.. put it on so I could share all my media files on my roku's and use their media server.. the new update from Roku on their media player has killed that.. I used it for audiobooks mainly and the new playing interfere has destroyed it. Cannot turn the display off with screensaver, will not save your place, you cannot even see where you were in a audio trac after the wandering block starts up.. go ahead and try it... Anyhoo... My point is, I already installed and have Plex set up so I can do all of this, now because Roku decided to futz around with the code I need to install something different on my PC just to do the same frakkin thing I've been doing for the last 7 years?? Please... Makes me wanna just turn all my flat screens back into huge monitors and run over all my roku's in the frakkin driveway.... 

If you use Plex, you don't have to use RMP for anything. Use the Plex channel that they offer for the Roku.

Dan

Werecow91
Level 9

Re: Roku Media Player update is TERRIBLE

Turn on the native screensaver with the new media player as pre your instructions....

0 Kudos
Werecow91
Level 9

I can't use the screensaver to kill my screen tho, I was doing that to try to make the screen life longer on my flatscreen. The flex screensaver goes to a black screen but won't turn it off. I'm also very sensitive to light. I get quite a few migraines per month.. 

0 Kudos
lesmikesell
Level 13

In plex you can start an audio playback and let it continue while you switch to a photo playlist.  Make a set of photos you like and show them.

Screensavers aren't really a thing anymore: https://www.howtogeek.com/128644/htg-explains-why-screen-savers-are-no-longer-necessary/, but if you really only want audio it might be worth finding a way to do it on your phone instead of involving an unnecessary TV.

0 Kudos
Werecow91
Level 9

Gotta pay for that extra lil feature with Plex... Guess I'm down to leaving my Roku to gather dust and just cable up my fone or tablet, dl DL a bunch of books on either one and Bluetooth them to my speakers since I no longer have a Roku media player that I can use for audiobooks the other reason that we used it in this home was for my mother who is somewhat of a Luddite and has a hard time grasping anything technical at all. She could use the old media player for audiobooks but now she just throws her hands up and gives up.. and when she does stumble of something to listen to she can't get it to work like to old one and gets even more frustrated.. *sigh* signed only one of both household members that feel this way now.. 

0 Kudos
rsherry
Level 8

ALL smart tvs have their own SMART features/MENU. I have a Samsung with a great GUI so I can use THAT instead of the ROKU (fyi). I can use the PC in another room to host movie files, photos, etc via PLEX or any good remote media player/database. Then in the Samsung's OPTIONS (choosing a device), you can select PC. Samsung also has USB ports that allow you to play ANY EXTERNAL DRIVE media. You may have to search around for other options to ROKU if you don't have a Smart TV. I also have a Visio and it has some great features, except for the Fat32 USB external option, so I just use my PC to remotely access stuff from the PC. WHERE THERE IS A WILL, THERE IS A WAY. Roku is slowly going into the toilet and that is very sad as I thought they were ingenious when they built the ROKU. Now, all their support is in India and their Developers are not very smart. WISH I could root the Roku myself and put my own GUI menu on it since I am a software engineer in C++ , C #, etc. If you have an OLDER ROKU MODEL, use that instead, folks. THE NEW ULTRA IS NOT VERY GOOD.

REMOTE MEDIA SERVERS (FREE):

PLEX ALTERNATIVES: https://www.ionos.com/digitalguide/online-marketing/online-sales/plex-alternatives/

https://heavy.com/tech/2016/01/top-5-best-home-media-server-softwares/

HOW TO SET A MEDIA SERVER UP:

https://www.howtogeek.com/210739/HOW-TO-SET-UP-A-HOME-MEDIA-SERVER-YOU-CAN-ACCESS-FROM-ANY-DEVICE/

GOOD LUCK ALL!

0 Kudos
atc98092

@rsherry wrote:

ALL smart tvs have their own SMART features/MENU. I have a Samsung with a great GUI so I can use THAT instead of the ROKU (fyi). I can use the PC in another room to host movie files, photos, etc via PLEX or any good remote media player/database. Then in the Samsung's OPTIONS (choosing a device), you can select PC. Samsung also has USB ports that allow you to play ANY EXTERNAL DRIVE media. You may have to search around for other options to ROKU if you don't have a Smart TV. I also have a Visio and it has some great features, except for the Fat32 USB external option, so I just use my PC to remotely access stuff from the PC. WHERE THERE IS A WILL, THERE IS A WAY. Roku is slowly going into the toilet and that is very sad as I thought they were ingenious when they built the ROKU. Now, all their support is in India and their Developers are not very smart. WISH I could root the Roku myself and put my own GUI menu on it since I am a software engineer in C++ , C #, etc. If you have an OLDER ROKU MODEL, use that instead, folks. THE NEW ULTRA IS NOT VERY GOOD.

Man, if you have a Samsung with a "great" UI, I'd like to know what model. I have two, along with a couple of Vizio TVs, and all of them have terrible UIs for streaming local media via DLNA. I haven't used any of my Smart TVs for playback for many years, because they're so worthless. I've instead used Blu Ray players, Roku devices and the Nvidia Shield. No contest between any of them against the Samsung UI. Even the current version of RMP is far better than what my two Samsung sets offer.

Now when you say using Plex, that's different. A Plex app on any Smart TV will pretty much look and work just like the Plex channel on a Roku, which is a good UI. 

Dan

0 Kudos
lesmikesell
Level 13

Sony and others running android OS aren't bad at all for native apps - at least recent models that will have chipsets that are fast enough.   Those will run Kodi and several other DLNA capable apps as well as Plex.

0 Kudos