Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
steveg_nh
Reel Rookie

Inconsistent YouTube experience when viewing comments (resized video)

I noticed on a newer Roku Ultra I have at a second location, that when viewing comments and video description in YouTube resulted in a resized video, so the comments and description didn't cover the video as it played. I loved this, and assumed it was because the Ultras I had at my primary residence were older. So to get this, and upgrade for the benefits of direct Bluetooth connections to Roku, I bought a new one.

I was happy to see the functionality was the same as the other location, and the video resized. Then a few days later it stopped doing it, and it behaved like it did on the older Roku, with the comments and description column overlaying the video. Oddly though, a few days later, the resized video functionality came back. 

I thought maybe the factory refurbished 2022 model Roku I bought was the issue, so I headed off to Walmart and bought a brand new Ultra off the shelf. Got it configured and was surprised to see the old format. Maybe it will resurface, who knows. I'm stumped. How is this functionality coming and going? Is Google making changes or is this somehow an issue with Roku?

Current app is version 2.23 build 115025160. Here's a pic showing the functionality I prefer. 

Thanks!

IMG_6854.jpg

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Inconsistent YouTube experience when viewing comments (resized video)

I think it's most likely that YouTube is just futzing around with their coding.  They do this all the time, often fixing one problem and creating another.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
steveg_nh
Reel Rookie

Thanks. I wish I was keeping track of the build numbers. It does seem that you get a different version number, depending on the Roku hardware you are on. All the older Ultras seem to be version 2.22 and not 2.23. Hopefully they fix this then.

0 Kudos
6E616D65
Streaming Star

I've never seen the video resized when viewing comments on the screen, but I find it easier to read and add comments from a phone YT app linked to the Roku app. No overlay or resizing of video in that case.

0 Kudos