Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thege

I start a show on any streaming app and it times out

I start a show on any streaming app and it times out, and kicks me back to the Home Screen of my my TCL brand Roku tv. This happens on Netflix, Hulu, hbomax, prime, Disney plus. Sometimes it happens within 45-60 seconds other times, longer. It’s annoying because we have another tv in our bedroom which is also a Roku tv but it’s Westinghouse brand, and i have never encountered the above problem with that tv.

The TCL tv is older by maybe only 1-2 years, and was our first tv.

I’ve unplugged and restarted our internet box/modem and it happened still.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? If so what was the outcome?

Thanks

Labels (1)
5 REPLIES 5
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: I start a show on any streaming app and it times out

@thege-

I've seen others with the same complaint but don't recall seeing any confirmed solutions.

Have you tried a restart? 

These things are just special purpose computers. Like their big brothers sometimes clearing things out by restarting them can correct problems. (For Roku TV users reading this: if you have "Fast TV start" enabled,, turning it off and back on just puts it into and out of a standby state and does NOT give you a complete restart.)

Depending on your Roku model you'll find the "System restart" option under "Settings > System > Power", or on models without a Power option, under "Settings > System".

If a restart doesn't do it, or if you don't have sufficient control with the remote to navigate the Roku menus, you can also restart by pulling the power plug to the Roku for a few seconds then plugging it back in and waiting for it to restart.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Leannek18
Streaming Star

I have the issue with Netflix. I have about 10 seconds to find what I want to watch, until it freezes. If I find what I want, it will usually crash and kick me out about 5 minutes in. This is the 3rd app I've had issues with. Very close to getting a fire stick. 

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi, @thege @Leannek18

Thanks for posting regarding the issue you've encountered here in the Roku Community.

Rest assured that we acknowledge your concern about the issue you are experiencing when playing content on the Netflix channel, and we'd be more than glad to assist.

For the time being, we recommend performing the steps provided by @makaiguy to see if you're able to see any differences and improvements with the current issue you had.

In addition to this, restart your modem/router or connect to an alternative network such as a mobile hotspot or other network, and see if the kickback is resolved. If the issue persists, kindly provide the following information below:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version. (These can all be found in Settings > System > About).
  • What channel/s and what version/build is the channel/s that is having the issue? (This can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button).
  • Tracker ID when this issue occurs. (When you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID).
  • A photo or video clip referring to the issue,

We look forward to hearing back from you.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Jennox7

Mine is doing the same exact thing! Roku needs a software update to fix this! 

GPRetired
Reel Rookie

Roku support does not tell you about it, but the Roku channel content will not play and gives you the symptoms you describe if you are running it through a VPN.  I experienced the problem a few months ago.  When I shut off the VPN the Roku channel started working again.  My premium streaming channels had continued to work with the VPN however.  Prior to that time my Roku had no trouble working through the VPN that I have been using for over a year.  I suspect they changed something.

Possibly related - I have noticed a huge increase in junk mail to my email account since removing the VPN from my Roku internet path a couple of months ago.  I don't know that the two situations are in any way related.  Good luck.

0 Kudos