Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SadAppsRemoved
Reel Rookie

I miss VidAngel! ROKU, please make it an official channel so I don't have to replace my ROKU with a

I miss VidAngel! ROKU, please make it an official channel so I don't have to replace my ROKU with a better device that let's me have the apps I want.  Also, I couldn't figure out how to file an official complaint, so here I am trying g to get someone's attention.

5 REPLIES 5
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: I miss VidAngel! ROKU, please make it an official channel so I don't have to replace my ROKU wi

@SadAppsRemoved 

If the app does not meet Roku standards -- the same standards Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, and all the other apps have to meet -- then it won't be approved. Roku won't relax the rules, and certainly for a company like VidAngel that has a history of copyright violations that cost them a $62-million judgement to Disney and Warner Bros.

I understand there is an app for Amazon's Fire TV devices. I'm not certain about Android/Google TV devices.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
SadAppsRemoved
Reel Rookie

Re: I miss VidAngel! ROKU, please make it an official channel so I don't have to replace my ROKU wi

I completely understand that there are other apps out there that still allow the consumer to choose what they want and don't limit our freedom to choose for ourselves like roku is now doing.  I wasn't asking for a list.  Just expressing my sadness in hopes that someone at Roku might see it and that way my voice can be heard.

SadAppsRemoved
Reel Rookie

@DBDukes I completely understand that there are other apps out there that still allow the consumer to choose what they want and don't limit our freedom to choose for ourselves like roku is now doing. I wasn't asking for a list. Just expressing my sadness in hopes that someone at Roku might see it and that way my voice can be heard.

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@SadAppsRemoved wrote:

@DBDukes I completely understand that there are other apps out there that still allow the consumer to choose what they want and don't limit our freedom to choose for ourselves like roku is now doing. I wasn't asking for a list. Just expressing my sadness in hopes that someone at Roku might see it and that way my voice can be heard.

You seem to miss the point that Roku has certain coding standards that must be followed. Among them is the requirement that apps for subscription services allow the user to use Roku Pay. Apple has a similar requirement, by the way. The standard does not force the user to use Roku Pay, but does guarantee the user can use Roku Pay if the user so chooses. The old VidAngel app for Roku, in the non-certified repository (which was never designed as a permanent home for apps), did not implement this required functionality.

Roku is not going to tell VidAngel that the rules don't apply to them. You can certainly voice any concern you want to Roku, but expecting that Roku will waive the rules is an unreasonable expectation.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
SadAppsRemoved
Reel Rookie

@DBDukes 

You seem to miss the point that even if my opinion changes nothing at roku, at least I am able to express my opinion and be heard.  Again, I'm not looking for any answers from you. Just getting my opinion out there!

0 Kudos