Channels & viewing

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Disney+ channel in Italy

Jump to solution

Geo-restrictions are typically required by a contract with the media providers. For The Roku Channel, Roku has only licensed the content for streaming in the US and perhaps one or two other places. It's either too costly, or simply not available to stream elsewhere. For the providers that own their content (Disney, HBO, etc.), they might have streaming contracts in place with other providers that restrict them from offering it on their own channel. Only those providers can answer why it's not available world-wide. 

We have no idea what Roku has attempted to do to convince a provider to enable their Roku channel in a particular location. They may be doing everything possible, but it's still up to the provider to make the actual change. There's nothing Roku can do to change that. Maybe they are, and maybe they aren't doing something behind the scenes. But they'll never publicly acknowledge whatever they are doing. 

I don't believe Roku as a company is uncaring about places outside North America and Great Britain. Sure, you may have heard some CSA to say that, but I don't believe that's the case. I have registered as a developer so I could mess around with the channel coding, and I've seen the list of different countries contained in the program permissions. It's extensive, so they obviously do care about most of the world. But in the end, it's completely under the control of the channel developer to determine where they will offer their channel. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
vntokoros
Level 7

Jump to solution

I absolutely agree and respect everything you said. But the problem is still here and we as users have no means of resolving this. And the ball is on Roku, because these providers offer their content via other platforms, only Roku is left behind and it is on their best interest to find a solution 

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I think it might simply be not very obvious to the provider WHAT and THAT they actually have to do something to make their app work everywhere.
I still remember my talk with Plex and they were completely surprised that the channel was not working in germany and were thinking that Roku had to fix that.
So it's at least up to Roku to communicate this better to the channel providers. It seems that's somehow to complicate to handle or to be aware of.

RokuMary-F
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

Channel availability/access on Roku devices will vary from region to region. A Roku device will work in any location, however, channels may not be available on your device in that location, based on each channel provider's discretion. For more information, you'd want to contact any specific channel/service provider to inquire further about whether they offer their channel/service on the Roku platform in your region. 

Thanks,

Mary

0 Kudos
vntokoros
Level 7

Jump to solution

Hello Mary,

We already contacted the channel/service providers as you can read in our posts.That’s the issue,that providers don’t know (that’s what they say) that they have to do something else to be able to stream in these regions.What is Roku doing about this misconception?

0 Kudos