Channels & viewing

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hoverit
Level 8

Re: Disney Plus channel in Italy

Jump to solution

@Mogimbo: Agreed. Can I remove the solved? If so, how?

Thanks in advance...

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Just to remind everyone. Roku themselves have no control over where channels are made available in their channel store. The channel developers have sole control over that, and Roku is not permitted to make any changes. Only Disney can make their channel available in the Roku channel store for individual countries. There might be legal reasons a channel isn't available in a particular country, and Roku cannot over-ride what the channel developer has configured for location availability.

It's not that Roku is unsympathetic, but it's something they cannot control. The answer provided by Roku is accurate, and I'm sorry that it doesn't resolve the problem for your particular location. But the question has been answered correctly. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Mogimbo
Level 8

Jump to solution

@atc98092 

sorry but this is not a good reason to avoid the problem.

Roku sell devices but when other company says that we can see their services on Roku devices this a Roku problem and it should move to:

1. Activate the channel (helping Conpanies to develop quickier the channel)

OR

2. Say to other company that what they are saying is not the truth

Moreover Roku should pay more attention to what is published on it's channel. Sorry to say this, but 90% of the channels (my personal opinion, maybe someone find interesting) are garbage.

There are few big companies that have published their services on Roku (e.g. Netflix, Amazon, Youtube etc...).

If I'll have to buy another device like this maybe Roku will not be my first choice.

Regards

0 Kudos
FakeLugosi
Level 7

Jump to solution

I appreciate that Roku has legal agreements based on an outdated business model so is not able to fix the problem immediately. That is Roku's problem, not their customers. They're also advertising a product based on features that it doesn't actually have, which is also illegal.

The least they could do to resolve this is to amend their advertising/website to note the extra, Roku specific, region restrictions on services. There is no reason for a potential customer to suspect that such would exist beyond the actual service's regional restrictions, that makes no sense and their competitor's products such as Chromecast and Firestick do not appear to suffer from this problem. If they'd done that I wouldn't have bought something that is faulty by design and I suspect I'm not alone in that.

Having this marked as "solved" suggests that the problem is solveable by the customer, which it is not. Leaving it unsolved is at least honest and provides some level of warning to anybody who finds this thread by googling to check support.

Mogimbo
Level 8

Jump to solution

@hoverit ,

it's ok, maybe it's not your fault, anyway I don't know how to remove the solution.

Maybe you can open a ticket ahahahaha

@atc98092 The answer does not not solve my problem so this is not the solution for my ticket; if this this is the real answer from roku, my answer can only be as follow 

If you want see Disney+, don't buy Roku, the service is not available on these devices in more EU States and Roku doesn't know if/when could became available.

I  have experienced a similar problem with netflix; I had to wait 1 month before the channel was published in Italy and in the meanwhile I used an old (OLD!!) Apple TV.
With disney+ my first post in this topic was 6 month ago!

So if someone asks if the problem with disney will be repeated with other services my opinion is YES because all big services arrives on Roku after months (or never...).

But if you want see Religious channel and pray all day, you have choosen the right device!

Regards

atc98092

Re: Re: Disney Plus channel in Italy

Jump to solution

@Mogimbo wrote:

@atc98092 

sorry but this is not a good reason to avoid the problem.

Roku sell devices but when other company says that we can see their services on Roku devices this a Roku problem and it should move to:

1. Activate the channel (helping Conpanies to develop quickier the channel)

OR

2. Say to other company that what they are saying is not the truth

Moreover Roku should pay more attention to what is published on it's channel. Sorry to say this, but 90% of the channels (my personal opinion, maybe someone find interesting) are garbage.

There are few big companies that have published their services on Roku (e.g. Netflix, Amazon, Youtube etc...).

If I'll have to buy another device like this maybe Roku will not be my first choice.

Regards

But that's not the way it works with streaming players. It's no different with a Fire TV or Android device. The apps that are available on those devices are made available by the app developer, not Amazon or Google. They are simply providing the platform for others to offer their content. It's the content providers that make the final decision where their content can be made available, and on what platforms. 

I'm sure the Disney support people aren't intentionally providing inaccurate information. The people that answer the phones can only offer what they have been told, and someone isn't telling them accurately where their product is available and on what platforms. 

We have no idea what Roku might be doing behind the scenes trying to assist the providers, or reminding them about activating their services on Roku devices. But it's still the provider's ultimate job to make it happen. 

Dan

0 Kudos

Re: Disney Plus channel in Germany

Jump to solution

I would like to add a few thoughts here.

I'm from germany and also cannot access several channels here (Plex, Disney, ...).
When I access the Channel store on the Roku website it says that there is no web channel store for my country available.

So maybe it has something to do with that? Plex have confirmed to me that they have not set any country restrictions. Roku says only the channel owner can set these restrictions. But when there is no real channel store in my country maybe that's the problem that makes it impossible for some channels to be installed?

I don't know how the other working channels can be installed and why they are working without problems (like Netflix). Maybe there's some kind of substitute store for germany which restricts some channels?

Plex for example really want this problem to be fixed but the ball is just played between Plex and Roku and nothing happens.
There has to be anyone at Roku who can check what causes the problem and tell the channel creator what they actually have to do to release the channel for germany? It seems the channel creator isn't aware they have to do something to make it available in specific countries.

0 Kudos
vntokoros
Level 7

Jump to solution

So are there any news about Disney+ being available in Europe on Roku?

I fave a similar issue with Amazon Prime Video and Amazon’s support stated that there is no georestriction by them.

Then I asked Roku support and the answer I got is that Roku is mainly focused and maintained for US market, so some services  are not available overseas even if the streaming provider is available on a country.

By that,I understand that maybe we will never have a proper support in Europe by Roku, so probably is the last thing I bought from them.There is no meaning of keeping it just for Netflix and Apple TV.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

It isn't under Roku's control where channels are available. Even if Disney+ is available in your location, Disney must enable their Roku channel to work there. Roku cannot make it work there. Amazon might make their service available in your location, but it's their job to enable their Roku channel there as well. Most of their customer support staff have no idea that service availability and availability on a Roku device are two different things. 

Dan

0 Kudos
vntokoros
Level 7

Jump to solution

Alright,I already know this

But it’s an answer given by Roku and their fans without giving a solution.
I always hear that streaming providers are responsible etc, but Roku doesn’t make any effort to resolve this.

The point is Roku doesn’t care for customers outside US and the Commonwealth and it is summoned up in this reply by Roku’s support : “Please note that Roku is maintained for the US, so only a few channels would be internationally on the Roku platform.”

So, customers outside these areas are not on Roku’s business plan to be supported.
And at the end,I believe that is Roku’s policy not to allow customers outside these areas to add these channels.It can be that all the others companies are lying and Roku is telling the truth.In every forum I searched they all say that support from streaming providers don’t even know about the georestriction.And if so,Roku certainly doesn’t try to help them.Roku doesn’t even allow its own channel outside US based on the georestriction that is a policy forced by them 

Change my mind..!!

0 Kudos