Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Roku screen won’t fit on my TV

I don't care. I have an ultra on an old small HDTV and I think I noticed the overscan before, but I forgot about it, because I don't care about it.

I also have an Ultra on a 4K TV and it has a "fit to screen: on/off" option which eliminates the overscan when on, and eliminates letterboxing when off.

I just tried sending a 4K 30-bit RGB signal to it. It works at 24 Hz, but switches to YCbCr 4:2:0 at 4K60. So an RGB option wouldn't benefit me, but it appears to negotiate what the source and the TV can both handle, IOW, it doesn't hurt. It might aggravate the typical flashing when refresh rates change, though, so I wouldn't want to ever force an RGB preference.

Why don't you put in a feature request to add RGB output if the hardware could accommodate it with a firmware update adding an option in setup? Maybe they can, maybe they can't, maybe they won't for one reason or another. Ask for it, and in the meantime use something else if that's what you've found you prefer.

EDIT: I tried to confirm your results using an onn version of the AndroidTV, GoogleTV/chromecast dongle (not their new $20 item, it's the previous version at around $40 if I recall). I confirmed that an old Proscan 1080P set did overscan a little, using a pattern on a Blu-Ray disc. Connecting the GoogleTV using every combination of 4:4:4, RGB, 24 or 36 bit depths, I get no change. It always overscans the same little bit.

So what you've found may work for your set, but it won't work for mine. Makes me wonder if your set's overscan is much more that mine, or if you're just more sensitive to it. But it doesn't look to me like you found a magic bullet for every set out there. I could be wrong, but that's what I'm seeing this morning.

CarlWilliams
Binge Watcher

Yes, good point, however, shifting is not a current option since I already shelled out big bucks for such an irritating experience.

Interesting though how I never ever had these issues EVER before using Roku and that was the only change. "Cause and Effect".

0 Kudos
Smurphy661

I fixed this issue in the following way. Go to the settings on the main Roku menu on the Home Screen > then go to Display Type > I changed from automatic to 720p and then changed it back to automatic. Exit settings.

I’m guessing this reset something and the image is no longer zoomed in 

CarlWilliams
Binge Watcher

Thanks for sharing that.

It all sounds like an all too familiar Microsoft hack/workaround, something one wouldn't typically expect in 2023. But ironically, as time progresses these tech products and support seem to regress.

yoga-fitness
Reel Rookie

Re: How to fix Roku zoomed in and cutting screen off?

If you could provide more context or details about what "screen cutting" refers to in the context of yoga fitness, I'd be happy to help you with relevant information or advice. For now, if you're looking for general tips related to yoga and its potential connection to screens (such as using screens for virtual yoga sessions), here's some information:

0 Kudos

It's not working I have a Roku TV and I have a Roku box my Roku box is zoomed in and there's no way to fix it. I've tried to plug it I've tried turning it off I've tried factory reset nothing is working. 

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@Curiousmonkey3, Roku devices have no settings to zoom, but many TVs do.  Check your TVs settings for zoom, or picture size, or aspect ratio, or anything else that may have something to do with it.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Petrone-T

I had the same problem where everything was enlarged. I fixed mine by going through my settings for my TV. I have an older RCA TV and use the picture settings and put them at 100% and it seemed to fix my Roku display and put it back to normal. I hope this helps but I guess it depends on the television you have