Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aparker6

How to fix Max not playing shows on my Roku device

I can sign into HBO Max using my Roku but none of my shows play. They start and play for 3 seconds and quit out. I tried deleting and re-downloading, but I can’t even delete my HBO. There’s an option to delete all other channels. Please advise.

0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: How to fix Max not playing shows on my Roku device

What is your Roku model number (not just its name)? HBO isn't quite honest about which devices their channel works on. 

If you subscribe to HBO through Roku, you can't remove the channel without unsubscribing first. That's a bugaboo about subscribing to services through Roku. 

There is a way to remove the channel without unsubscribing, but it requires doing a factory reset on your Roku. You then set it up as if it's new from the box. All channels linked to your user account will automatically reinstall, but you will have to log back into some of them manually. But before you try that please answer the question about your model Roku.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
eallen2385
Channel Surfer

there is NO ROKU model number on my ROKU device.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Every Roku device has a model number. You can see it on the case (although it's often difficult to see) or in the Settings/System/About menu. If it's a Roku TV, you need to state the brand name as well, as there are multiple manufacturers of Roku TVs, including Roku themselves. 

Dan

0 Kudos
eallen2385
Channel Surfer

The Model is:  RC-AL7 ;

MAX did work until a few weeks ago.

0 Kudos
atc98092

@eallen2385 wrote:

The Model is:  RC-AL7 

That is the remote model number, not the Roku itself. All Roku players have a four digit model number, with all digits numbers. For example, the Ultra comes in a number of different models, such as 4640, 4660, 4670, 4800, and more. 

Dan

0 Kudos
eallen2385
Channel Surfer

The Product# is: 3810X, SN: 2139AF652000.

0 Kudos
eallen2385
Channel Surfer

DVC# 3810X

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @eallen2385,

Thank you for posting here in the Roku Community!

We understand you're having trouble with your Max channel on your Roku streaming stick 4K. We're happy to assist you further. Can you please provide the following information below?

• Is this the only channel that you're having issues with?
  • Where are you currently located right now?
  • Are you using a VPN?

We'll wait for your response.

Thanks,                                                                                                                                                    John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
atc98092

OK, the 3810 is the Streaming Stick+ from 2017, so it's over six years old. That itself shouldn't be an issue. But I checked the MAX web site and it says it only works on Roku devices with OS 11 or higher. So check and make sure your Roku is up to date.

If that's all good, then the next step is to uninstall the channel, reboot the Roku, then add the channel back in. You uninstall by highlighting the MAX tile on the home page and hit the * button. Once it's uninstalled, you MUST reboot the Roku. That means pulling the power for 30 seconds or using the Settings/System/Restart menu option. Once it reboots, install MAX again and try logging in.

Dan