Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
casa26687
Channel Surfer

How to activate the NBC App on my Roku?

Jump to solution

So, I went to nbc.com/Roku and the third activation code worked, but NBC wanted my "provider".

I DON'T HAVE A PROVIDER SINCE I GOT THE ROKU TO STREAM.

Apparently, the NBC app is only a 1 hour trial service that can NOT be enabled on a Roku only TV.

Roku should either make a statement to that effect when installing the NBC 'app' or REMOVE THE APP FROM THE 'STORE'.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: How to activate the NBC App on my Roku?

Jump to solution

Hello @katt2,

Thank you for joining the Roku Community. 

We appreciate you reaching out to us regarding the NBC channel access issue and we would like to provide our support.

The NBC channel on Roku offers a variety of free accessible content. However, there is some content that is locked, and you will need to log in to a participating pay-TV provider. Even without a paywall, you can still stream clips, highlights, and select episodes of NBC shows for free.

If you want more information on how to watch NBC Live without cable on Roku devices, check out this link: How to watch NBC Live without cable on Roku devices

Or you can contact the channel team for additional inquiries here: Contact Us

Thank you,
Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @casa26687,

Thank you for posting here in the Roku Community!
You should get in touch with NBC Support directly if you have any additional questions about the functionality and authentication of that channel. A large number of Roku channels are created and updated by the channel provider.

If you need anything else, please let us know.

Best regards,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
casa26687
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Apparently, you didn't understand my reply.

1. The 'app' is only a 1 hour 'trial', a bait & switch to purchase Peacock, not a real app and Roku should remove it.

2. NBC wants my 'provider', which I got rid of after buying the Roku TV for streaming. Since I don't have a 'provider', NBC is not interested in supporting the app since they can't monetize without associating with the provider.

Unless a Roku customer has a provider (cable / satellite), the NBC app does NOT work after 1 hour.

The only 'option' seems to be paying for the Peacock app, which Roku will be happy to set customer up with... again, seemingly aware that the NBC app is a bait & switch that stops working after an hour.

0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

There’s nothing that makes TV providers and streaming mutually exclusive.   You can still have a cable, satellite, etc. provider when adding Roku, or you can add a streaming TV provider such as slingTV or YouTubeTV.  There are lots of ways to arrange your TV entertainment.

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos
denhow
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

You can view some content on the NBC app without having a TV provider. You can view a lot more content if you have a provider. That's the way it works. It's NBC's decision, not Roku's.

As I recall, the ABC app works the same way.

0 Kudos
casa26687
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Sorry, but since there is nothing stating the apps are a timed trial (teaser), they should be removed from the Roku store. They are basically false advertising without a 'trial' disclaimer, especially if the customer doesn't have a 'provider' so the app CAN "activated".

Roku has their paid apps (like Peacock). If Roku continues to allow their teasers, Roku is also participating in false advertising.

Roku is pretty good in separating their free and paid apps... these apps seem to have slipped between the cracks. These apps seem to be 'free' until the hour runs out.

0 Kudos
denhow
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

There is free content on the NBC app. I hadn't used the app in a quite a while but I just looked at it now. When I scroll down I find a "Watch for Free" row and a "Just Unlocked" row. That is the free content on the app that I referred to above. This is in addition to any limited-time free content.

0 Kudos
casa26687
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

All that I saw yesterday was the 'activate'... I installed NBC and started watching the NFL Playoff. Just after the start of the second quarter, I got the message trial time was up and needed to 'activate'. Took three activation codes to get to the 'provider' webpage and couldn't get any further. Wasted a half hour.

I am NOT going to sign up ($$$) to a provider, that's why I bought the Roku, to cut the cord. I am NOT going to consider paying for Peacock if NBC is going to operate their 'free' app this way. Way too many streaming services started out free, then they have started adding ads... or charging more to get programing ad free.

It's bad enough that free programming on Roku has redundant ads: Grit has a 2 minute countdown to resume, then 2 to 3 minutes of self advertising.

I will definitely remember that Roku supports bait & switch apps the next time I purchase a TV.

Thanks for all of the input and suggestions. I appreciate that all of you are happy with Roku.

I'm gone!

0 Kudos
OwnerofDevices
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I guess you don't realize that if you buy a fire tv device, android tv device or Apple TV device you still either have to pay for cable or pay a live tv streaming service if you want to stream NBC.

0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@casa26687 wrote:

Way too many streaming services started out free, then they have started adding ads... or charging more to get programing ad free.

Well, perhaps you have discovered a market for a channel that is free, has no ads, and also has sports and the latest movies.  Since no one else has tried it yet, perhaps it should be you!  Channels on Roku are relatively easy to create (nothing like setting up a station for over-the-air broadcasting).  If you build it, I’ll watch it!

As for being happy with my Roku, yes, I think it’s a fine $30 gizmo.  In 1980 you could pay that much for a blank video tape, so having access to hundreds or thousands of channels in a tiny cheap gadget is pretty cool. So I would be inclined to use it to watch your channel.

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos