Channels & viewing

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
danallen4008
Level 7

Home in one city, apartment in another city, how to change the local stations

i have a home in Dallas, and an apartment in San Antonio, Tx.  I have a ROKU TV in Dallas, and and a ROKU Stick in San Antonio.  ON the San Antonio TV i get the Dallas local Channels.   How do i get the San Antonio local channels.  Can i change the location of the San Antonio TV and if so, how?   Please give simple instructions.  Also, on my account, i have another ROKU stick in Dallas on my TV in my garage.  I have Direct TV Stream since i bought a Vizio TV and cannot download it on the TV in San Antonio.   Please help....

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Home in one city, apartment in another city, how to change the local stations

What channel/app are you using to watch these local channels?  If it's a TV, you should be able to connect an antenna to get local channels.  For streaming channels, your location is usually obtained from your IP address.  You can use a service like https://www.iplocation.net/ to see the location indicated by your IP address.  Try it in San Antonio and Dallas.  It's not 100% reliable and different services may produce different results.  If you're using some Direct TV Roku channel/app then you should contact them and ask how to change your local stations.

You lost me with all the TVs and devices.  I don't think Vizio ever made a Roku TV, so you may have The Roku Channel, but that's not the same as a Roku device.  If the stick is not offering the DirectTV Stream channel/app, what's the model number displayed under Settings->System->About?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
danallen4008
Level 7

Re: Home in one city, apartment in another city, how to change the local stations

I may have mis-written.   The TV is a Vizio and i have a Roku stick that i am using for Direct TV Stream in San Antonio.  The other TV's in Dallas ... two are actual ROKU TV's and one is a off brand with a Rokku stick.  Iook at my account and it shows all four TV;s on it.   So i am wondering if the San Antonio TV thinks it is in Dallas?  and that it is tied to my email address like the others are. 

I contacted Direct TV and they say it is the Roku Stick not their services.  I would rather have the local channels as part of my line up and not have to use an antenna indoors.  

Do you think i need to make up a new email address?   On my accounts page out to side of each TV is a UNLINK button.   what does that do?    I hope i have not confused you anymore than i did the first time  ty

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@danallen4008 

If I'm reading correctly, you're using the DirecTV Stream service to watch local channels. Your Roku devices are in two different cities, but showing the local stations from one of the cities, but not the other.

This is actually the expected behavior. It may not be your desired behavior, but it is the expected behavior.

The service, DirecTV Stream -- but this is true for all live streaming services with local channels -- have a home location for you. Your service account (DirecTV Stream) will show the same local channels regardless of your location.

Some services allow you to change the home location, but only a certain number of times.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
HDMIGuy
Level 14

I would check with Directv stream.  I use YouTube TV and it has a home area and a current playback area.  You must use the service in your home area every 90 days I think.  Ask DirecTV Stream if you can have a different playback area.

danallen4008
Level 7

i understand what everyone is saying, but, i removed the ROKU device from my Dallas Account.    I made up a new email account and registered it with Roku.  The only common denominator was my billing address which is something i cannot change.  So I am guessing that since my billing address is the same on both accounts (and in Dallas), that is the reason i have Dallas channels in San Antonio.   There has to be a way somewhere where ROKU can keep the billing address the same but be able to insert a new address so I can view local channels without having to buy an antennae.  I cannot be the only person this has happened to, or maybe i am and that is just the way it is... but you would figure with all of this technology they could fix this.   I called ROKU and they are talking to people about billing and nothing else.....ROKU HELP ME.... PLS.

and thank you to all of the folks that have helped me so far.  much appreciated. 

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@danallen4008 

Are you subscribed to DirecTV Stream directly? Or are you using Roku Pay?

I suspect you are subscribed to DirecTV Stream directly, not through Roku. That is, you went to DirecTV Stream Website and subscribed there. Is that correct?

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos