Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Chris68
Streaming Star

Have some channels been removed permantly?

I'm happy that Roku has been performing very well with no bugs for me lately. 😁

I did have a question about removed live stream channels though. I just noticed one of my favorite and most watched ones just disappeared today, New Kmovies. 😓 There isn't much Asian entertainment left on Roku since the On Demand China and New Kpop channels disappeared a while back. I think Roku may have had a channel called Bambu that featured Asian movies and TV shows as well, but I'm not positive on that... It could have been another streaming app.

Anyway, Are channels removed due to licensing issues or just lack of audience maybe? I've also noticed commercials on Roku live streaming about channel 777 being added, it's an anime channel, but I've never seen it listed on the guide. And it is not hidden in the managed channels area. 

Anyway, everything about Roku has literally "rocked" lately,  I was just curious about missing some channels. Hopefully they may return one day along with even more Asian oriented viewing. I actually find it the most entertaining and enjoyable out of all the great entertainment options available on the Roku Live Stream.

Keep up the great work and keep "Rokuing" 😁😁

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
corbanjoel
Reel Rookie

Re: Have some channels been removed permantly?

I noticed that also.  I watch all the k-channels but they removed one.  Please bring it back.

Strega2
Roku Guru

Roku develops The Roku Channel and Roku Media Player and maybe another one or two others. 

All other channels are developed and maintained by others – sometimes big, companies, little companies, and sometimes “a guy”.  There are many reasons something might disappear such as: didn’t make enough money, lost access to source materials, never had rights to source materials and got caught, “a guy” is no longer interested, etc.  Also, just like other platforms, the APIs/OSs evolve and sometimes “a guy” or small company that was willing to build an app years ago, no longer is interested enough to update it to keep running as the platform evolves.  You would have to contact whatever entity created it if you want to know which one of these would apply.

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@corbanjoel and @Chris68 

Does look like the New K.Movies channel has been removed from the Roku Channel Live TV lineup.

The free Plex channel/app has some of the K-channels like New K.Movies and K-Pop, so might try watching it over there.  Just use the Search box in the Plex app and it will take you to the appropriate Live TV channel.

https://channelstore.roku.com/details/68e8d568fdd68a1197a2b9a5f69e16c0/plex-free-movies-and-tv

----

The free PlutoTV channel/app doesn't have New K.Movies, but looks like carries some Korean content. (https://pluto.tv/en/on-demand/category/63ea86239af3ad000822700b/view-all  under "korean tv")

https://channelstore.roku.com/details/0719d122fc30b9f282fa106a903ab1d6/pluto-tv-its-free-tv

---

The Korean content on the Roku Channel Live TV seems to come and go.  May disappear for a month or so and then seems to come back.

Edited to add....  The channel 777 you referenced was for Filmrise Anime.  It too appears gone from the Roku Channel Live  TV, but you can install either the Filmrise Anime channel/app or the larger Filmrise channel app. (again, both free).  

https://channelstore.roku.com/details/10c6db68acc50a7a4cd8a68861295334/filmrise-anime

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

Chris68
Streaming Star

@AvsGunnarand @corbanjoel and @Strega2 

Thanks for the replies fellow Rokulites....😉 As @AvsGunnar  mentioned Plex does still carry New Kmovies and New Kpop as well as several other Asian content channels like Jubio, Asian Crush, and YG Entertainment... I have all of those channels at the top of my list. 😅 I usually use Plex for watching my personal movies, but it is a good fall back for live stream channels. I tend to stay on Roku for the Live Stream Channels because it's built into my TV and when the Guide is working, it works better than most others and gives about a week of info like real cable TV. Plex tends to be a bit slower and often closes when you over search or work it, although that could be my server.

@corbanjoel  There are a few other alternatives as mentioned but I haven't been able to check and see if New Kmovies and New Kpop are still carried. As @AvsGunnar said they are still on Plex and I believe "Local Now" carried them as well. I'll try to check a few others that offer a live TV stream stream and guide when I get a chance. You would have to search and add the app on your Roku device to access them, but I think some channels are worth it. 😁 Especially my Asian channels that are far and in-between. I'm a silly caucasian guy but I love my K-drama, J-drama and C-drama.... 😅😂

And yeah, I'm familiar with "a guy" @Strega2  😉 I've been with Roku almost from the beginning. I really miss a lot of the apps that were maid by "a guy" back in the day. Particularly XTV, but of course all the private "Unofficial" apps were removed a few years ago sadly. Most of the live streams on Roku are larger entities so when they are removed I assume it's a money or licensing issue. I'm still hoping some of my favorites come back but I'm not holding my breath. 😅

0 Kudos
Chris68
Streaming Star

As far as channel 777, yeah it was Filmrise Anime @AvsGunnar  I think I actually have the app but one thing I've noticed is watching programing on Roku live stream channels, they have a lot less commercials. Filmrise apps tend to have the most. I don't mind watching a few, after all that is how they are making money and surviving, but 4 or more minutes of commercials for every 8 or so minutes of a movie is a bit much. I noticed that on Filmrise Action. Plex was killing me last night.... I watched a 48 minute short movie a sat through 46 commercials. 😯 The breaks were roughly every 8 minutes for me. I admit I'm happy with the price but Roku live-stream channels have more realistic channel breaks to me.

Anyway, I mainly brought of channel 777 because it's a channel that Roku has been advertising about adding new lately. I know it was never in my guide and still isn't there because I'm often down there for that cluster of channels for Midnight Pulp and Scream Box. IDK.... maybe some channels are added regionally? I wouldn't think so for Roku, but you never know.

Excelsior,

Chris

0 Kudos