Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Janina7890
Reel Rookie

HBOMax Channel Installed but not showing on Home screen

I purchased the hbomax subscription via roku the other day. I own several roku devices and all show the hbo channel on the home screen except one. In order for me to access the #hbomax I have to go to "streaming channels". Thats way too many steps. How can I get the channel on the home screen

Thanks.

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: HBOMax Channel Installed but not showing on Home screen

@Janina7890 

Are all your Roku devices linked to the same Roku account?  If you go to Settings/System/About, all the email addresses should be the same if they are linked. (your email address is the Roku account).

If they are all linked, then try performing a manual System Update followed by a System Restart on the Premiere 4620 to see if maybe a syncing issue.

System Update--> Settings/System/Software Update/Check Now/[press OK]

System Restart--> Settings/System/System Restart

-----

Otherwise, maybe check if you are running up against a memory issue.  Try deleting a channel/app or two and see if the HBO Max channel/app now appears on the Home Screen.

HBO Max does have a limit how many streams you can have concurrently, but should not affect how many devices you can install the channel/app on. (I would think.)  https://help.hbomax.com/US/Answer/Detail/000001258    

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

Janina7890
Reel Rookie

Thanks for your help! I tried all three suggestions and HBOMax still only displays in streaming channels. Not sure what to do. 

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

@Janina7890 

Thanks for following up.

We appreciate your effort in doing the suggested troubleshooting steps above. To clarify, does the issue only occur to the HBO Max channel or all channels on the device? Could you try to add a different channel and see if there's any difference? Have you checked the bottom part of the home screen? The app will be added to the bottom of the list of apps on the home screen. 

Keep us posted on what you find out. 

Regards,
Nimfa

0 Kudos
Janina7890
Reel Rookie

Thats correct, only the hbomax channel has this problem. I checked the entire list of channel on the home screen and find nothing.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@Janina7890 

That is a bit of a unique situation you have going there.

Sometimes the channel developers limit the operability of the channel/app to certain supported Roku devices, but according to the HBO Max site, as long as the device has OS 10.0 on it, it should be supported.  https://help.hbomax.com/US/Answer/Detail/000001243.

It is obviously supported since it is operating fine but just not showing up on Home Screen.  This is the behavior one would experience when they try to install a channel/app on an unsupported Roku device. (it will be available to all the other devices for install, but not to the unsupported device -- won't even show up under the Search).  Yours though is showing up under the Search.

---

How about if you launch the Roku Channel?  Can you find your HBO Max subscription under your premium subscriptions there?

Really not sure if this is a Roku issue or something in the HBO Max channel/app coding that is making it unable to remain installed on your 4620. (ie. something erroneously indicating it is not available for your device).

----

Personally, I think I would Factory Reset the Premiere 4620 to help rule out some device issue/corrupted data culprit.  If the Factory Reset did not resolve issue, then would need Roku support to look into further causes. (Settings/System/Advanced System Settings/Factory Reset).  Note: Make sure to have a working physical Roku remote before performing factory resets on a Roku device.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Janina7890
Reel Rookie

Thank you for such a thorough reply. Would I lose my channels or logins or anything else if I factory reset this device?

Thanks

0 Kudos
RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Hi  @Janina7890

Thank you for the response!

Performing a factory reset will remove all stored personal data relating to your settings, network connections, Roku data, and menu preferences. When completed, you must repeat the guided setup, reconnect to the internet, re-linking your Roku account, and reload streaming channels.

We hope it helps! 

Warm Regards,
Lianna

0 Kudos