Channels & viewing

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: HBO MAX not showing 4K content on ROKU Ultra (2020)

@Elmer_Fudd_Gant wrote:

The display does it's own upscaling... typically much better than the Roku would as they put much more money into it.  Why would I ... or anyone... want a Roku upscaling to meet the need of my LG OLED when my LG OLED can already do it.  I would just want it to feed native and inform the set what it is.

So far, no Roku player has ever supported native resolution passthrough. I concur it would be desirable, and it's one reason my "serious" streaming player is the Nvidia Shield. At least they offer framerate matching on the 4K players, so it's a step in the right direction. But yes, native resolution, bitstream passthrough for all audio codecs and a Gigabit Ethernet jack would be high on my list of desires for a top trim player. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos

Hear ya.  For me... it's the reason I will often bypass the Roku altogether in favor of the less friendly smarts built into the LG.  

0 Kudos

How would anyone be able to tell what resolution their set is receiving if the Roku is up converting everything?  To a 4K set ... everything would appear 4K and so checking resolution on the set would be of no value.

0 Kudos
atc98092

@Elmer_Fudd_Gant wrote:

How would anyone be able to tell what resolution their set is receiving if the Roku is up converting everything?  To a 4K set ... everything would appear 4K and so checking resolution on the set would be of no value.

The answer: you can't. There are some providers that have a way to see what is being sent. I believe the function still exists in Netflix, but it's harder to enable. Before starting a video, hit the * button. Don't hit it again to close the menu that opens. Now when you play a video there should be a small text area that says what the resolution is. Well, maybe not. I just tried it on my Ultra 4800 and couldn't get it to appear. 

When playing a YouTube video, there's an additional menu that can be opened by pressing the up button, then clicking on the three vertical dots that is labeled More. Scroll over to the right and there's a little icon that looks like a bug, labeled Stats for nerds. Open that and you can see exactly what is being streamed. You have to manually close that window or it will be there every time you start a new video.

Prime Video used to have an icon that said if the video was HD or UHD, but they dropped it quite a while ago. I have no idea if any other channels offer such information.

Dan

0 Kudos

So these questions about HBO Max not showing 4K on WW84?  No way to know it's not.

0 Kudos
Corvettester
Level 7

Hi, I know all about YouTube’s Nerd icon and all the indications on Netflix content. What I’m getting at is why ROKU Ultra 2020 HBO Max WW84 indicates HD 5.1 on the LG 4K TV and on the Samsung 4K TV with the HBO Max app WW84 indicates 4K UHD Dolby Vision Dolby Atmos? As you can see, I have 2 TVs, one in living room other in family room. The ROKU is on the LG 4K TV. LG does not have the HBO Max app yet. 

0 Kudos
atc98092

@Corvettester 

No Samsung TV has Dolby Vision, so you're not seeing that in an app on a Samsung, as they are firmly in the HDR+ camp. 

All I can confirm on my Ultra 4800 is that Max says the video is HD on the info screen, but it is triggering Dolby Vision on my LG TV and my AVR reports Atmos audio. Based on the image quality I see, it appears to be streaming in 4K. I don't know if Max is streaming DV at 1080. Since Roku devices will upscale non-4K material, it does no good to look at what my AVR is reporting for resolution. 

Dan

0 Kudos
Corvettester
Level 7

Now I’m looking at the contents of WW84 on the Samsung TV and it shows Dolby Vision! Now I know that Samsung uses HDR10+ and not DV but the app indicates it. So, HBO Max is not indicating on their apps the appropriate info. 

0 Kudos
atc98092

@Corvettester wrote:

Now I’m looking at the contents of WW84 on the Samsung TV and it shows Dolby Vision! Now I know that Samsung uses HDR10+ and not DV but the app indicates it. So, HBO Max is not indicating on their apps the appropriate info. 

Yep, that's another example of the error it displays in the Roku app, only showing it as HD and 5.1 audio. I just fired it up on my Shield, and it reports 4K UHD, Dolby Vision and Atmos. But if I try to play it, the Shield locks up and won't play it. I've waited about 20 seconds and I see some activity on the bottom of the screen, but nothing is playing. After about 45 seconds it gave me a playback error and said to restart the app. Did that, and it still won't play. Rebooted the Shield, and it still won't play.

So anyone who says it's only the Roku that programmers screw up their apps, they can do an even worse job on Android. 😄

Dan

0 Kudos
rkowner1234
Level 8

Has this changed at all with the Roku ultra, I was looking into getting one because the firetv is not doing Dolby vision with the HBO Max app and it does not support atmos for the applet tv plus app. I was wondering if this is fixed by now and the Roku ultra supports both DV and DB Atmos for both apps  

0 Kudos