Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
prem0069

Great channel removed from Roku within the last month

I had a great channel added on Roku that had a boatload of awesome movies from the 80s, 70s, 60s & 50s like Duel, Soylent Green & Day of the Locust to movies like Charlie the Lonesome Cougar. Alot of horror & Sci-fi classics that weren't obscure, but not shown on usual streams. I just can't remember the name of the channel & it's no longer on my channel list. Idk if I removed it or it got taken down. I'm thinking taken down, bcuz there were great movies on there and they were free.

If anyone knows of any great channels that were just removed within the last month April, May 2023 from Roku or somehow know of the channel which I can't remember let me know. Such an awesome channel & idk what happened. Thanks for any help

0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Great channel removed from Roku within the last month

When a channel like that is removed, it's one of two things. Either the provider shut itself down (went out of business) or it was found to be providing content it didn't have the legal right to provide. The timeframe of the media you mention is still going to be under copyright ownership by someone, and a provider can't offer it via streaming without permission (which means they pay for the privilege).

When they come to Roku's attention, Roku has to remove the channel or be legally liable themselves for allowing unauthorized content.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
UNOwenNYC
Reel Rookie

Re: Great channel removed from Roku within the last month (I've got TERRIFIC news...🤫

i used to watch the channel myself.

I don't know what happened to it, but, it's seems tohave been 'reborn' under the name Cinema Box'.a few days ago (today's Thursday, 25 May, 23). 

Everything you loved, it's all there. I'm watching Funeral In Berlin, right now.

BruiserBB
Reel Rookie

Re: Great channel removed from Roku within the last month (I've got TERRIFIC news...🤫

Now Cinema Box removed today 7/10/2023

ricksmith302
Reel Rookie

"Cinema Box" had some good movies, unlike most of the **bleep** on ROKU.

Too good to be true I guess,

What happened to it?

Software updated, and good-bye "Cinema Box".

Scum.

0 Kudos

I was actually trying to help a friend download Cinema Box yesterday and we couldn't find it. When I looked for the app on my Roku and it was gone. Great channel. Great movies. All free. No commercials. I was always afraid he was too good to be true and it was. But I did discover Cineverse. Not bad. But I still will miss Cinema Box.

0 Kudos
ricksmith302
Reel Rookie

Looked at CINEVERSE. Too much perversion for us. We are old school.

You know, traditional values, Christianity, like that. We'd have to fumigate

our house just watching the previews.

0 Kudos
ToniP119
Reel Rookie

The channel was cinema box. I found it 2 weeks ago. Had the best movies for 1 week. I came back from vacation and it was gone. Reinstalled it but now it only has a handful of awful movies. Bummer

0 Kudos
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @ToniP119,

Greetings from the Roku Community!

We understand you have a query about the channel. Please be advised that we don't have details as to why the channel was removed.

You'll want to contact the channel's support directly to inquire further about that channel's features and functionality. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel providers themselves.

Also, you can check why a channel may have been removed here.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please let us know.

Best regards,

Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@ToniP119 wrote:

The channel was cinema box. I found it 2 weeks ago. Had the best movies for 1 week. I came back from vacation and it was gone. Reinstalled it but now it only has a handful of awful movies. Bummer

That's a pretty good indication it was streaming media without permission. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos