Channels & viewing

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gronline
Level 7

Freeview Problems Roku Express

Hi there

I have bought a Roku Express. It is all connected up and working OK except I cannot get Freeview channels. From my old TalkTalk box I removed the aerial and placed it in the television. Is this correct as I thought it was Freeview was available?

Thanks

Richard

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Freeview Problems Roku Express

You need an actual Roku TV.  You can't get it with a stand-alone player.

https://support.roku.com/en-gb/article/360038618573

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
MilesT
Level 14

The main freeview channels have catchup and live viewing apps, e.g BBC iPlayer, ITV hub (all the ITV branded channels), All4 (all the 4 branded channels), My5 (5 plus a number of others), STV.

The significant gaps are Quest, Pick, and I think S4C and BBC Alba (I don't speak Welsh or Gaelic so not of interest).

Other "niche" channels also missing as are a few paid for channels available on the You view platform from talk talk. 

Most TV's can do FreeView (plug in an antenna), need FreeView HD for some. Some parts of the UK can only get "basic" FreeView which Roku channels match.  Freesat is the workaround, need a dish and a freesat box or old sky box with a freeway from sky viewing card (free from sky).

If your TV can't do FreeView then get an external FreeView HD box.  I would recommend spending extra on Humax PVR box to allow recording and later watching of anything not available on Roku.

If you avoid using BBC iPlayer, FreeView FreeSat (incl. PVR), or watching anything "live" from ITV, C4 etc. on your Roku, then you can legally choose to not pay for TV license. TVL will nag you but just ignore or send back form to say you don't need license, and anyone visiting from TVL has no right of entry to check, they have to prove violation from outside the property; presence of antenna or dish is not proof of use.

Not a Roku employee
0 Kudos
MilesT
Level 14

The main freeview channels have catchup and live viewing apps, e.g BBC iPlayer, ITV hub (all the ITV branded channels), All4 (all the 4 branded channels), My5 (5 plus a number of others), STV.

The significant gaps are Quest, Pick, and I think S4C and BBC Alba (I don't speak Welsh or Gaelic so not of interest).

Other "niche" channels also missing as are a few paid for channels available on the You view platform from talk talk. 

Most TV's can do FreeView (plug in an antenna), need FreeView HD for some. Some parts of the UK can only get "basic" FreeView which Roku channels match.  Freesat is the workaround, need a dish and a freesat box or old sky box with a freeway from sky viewing card (free from sky).

If your TV can't do FreeView then get an external FreeView HD box.  I would recommend spending extra on Humax PVR box to allow recording and later watching of anything not available on Roku.

If you avoid using BBC iPlayer, FreeView FreeSat (incl. PVR), or watching anything "live" from ITV, C4 etc. on your Roku, then you can legally choose to not pay for TV license. TVL will nag you but just ignore or send back form to say you don't need license, and anyone visiting from TVL has no right of entry to check, they have to prove violation from outside the property; presence of antenna or dish is not proof of use.

That should cover it.

Not a Roku employee
0 Kudos