Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Fast forward and Rewind don't work on YouTube anymore

Jump to solution

@kev2069666

Thanks for the post.

Can you please specify the issue you are experiencing? What are the steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing? What troubleshooting steps have you already taken to try to resolve the issue?
With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
kev2069666
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Whenever using the youtube app on my 65U6GR, I can try to rewind the video. Rewinding more than 20 seconds will trigger this bug most of the time.

What happens is you try to rewind and the video will play from the position you reminded to. However the loading icon will stay in the center of the screen, also the progress bar at the bottom will stay grey. After about 10 seconds the video will jump forwards to where the  video was at before you tried to rewind it.

This makes rewinding very frustrating as sometimes you have to repeat this process 2 to 3 times before the video will stay at the selected playback position. Try it with a video that is half watched then rewind. If the part of the video you are rewinding to isn't cached it most likely won't load right.

This seems more of an app issue rather than a tv or internet issue. Almost like the youtube app can't verify the playback position correctly and just gives up and skips forward again.

So far I have reinstalled the app, switched from my 2.4g to 5g internet at 200mpbs. Tried pausing the video before rewinding. Restarting the tv does help the first time or so rewinding while using the app then the app fails to rewind again.

I don't want to factory reset my tv because, like I said, it seems like an app issue more than the tv itself.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Sugarbee
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Same here.  I've gone through all the troubleshooting steps. Even had the Roku TV replaced and the replacement does exactly the same thing, so don't bother with factory reset.

Sugarbee
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Here's a video of the issue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvacuUM6FDQ

ST_Dog
Binge Watcher

Re: DANNY- Re: Fast forward and Rewind don't work on YouTube anymore

Jump to solution

@LSeeber wrote:

No.. youtube said it's you. It works correctly on every other tv and medium I have. Only the Roku. It's exhausting and exasperating.

It's the YouTube app on Roku though. All other apps work fine. Plex, Disney+, Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc.

YouTube/Google is responsible for the app, not Roku. Everyone else can get it right, so what is wrong with their app?

0 Kudos
ST_Dog
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@Sugarbee wrote:

Restarting does not fix the issue for me.  TCL support even sent a replacement TV and it does the same thing, straight out of the box.  They can't replicate the issue.

What about other apps, like Netflix or Amazon Prime? Do they function correctly?

If The TCL version of Roku has the issue 100% of the time while stand alone devices get stuck in a bad state, that might help Google fix the app for all Roku platforms. (If gneg will ever bother to try. Google isn't know for being responsive)

0 Kudos
Sugarbee
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I'm inclined to think this is an issue with the TCL/Hisense Roku device, since none of my other Rokus have this issue.  Would Google/YouTube have to create a different application software for each Roku model?  Probably not, right?  Should be just one application and then Roku has to figure out how to implement it on all of their models.

0 Kudos
ST_Dog
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@Sugarbee wrote:

I'm inclined to think this is an issue with the TCL/Hisense Roku device, since none of my other Rokus have this issue.  Would Google/YouTube have to create a different application software for each Roku model?  Probably not, right?  Should be just one application and then Roku has to figure out how to implement it on all of their models.

Depends. If TCL/Hisense modified the code in someway it would be on them, not Roku.

Sort of like how all the Android phone makers modify the base Android OS for their devices. Sometimes an app doesn't work on a specific phone/model because of those changes. More often than not the app developer modifies the app faster/easier than the phone maker. Either way it's probably Google's fault that Samsung/Motorola/LG/etc changed something.

So here, it[s not Roku's fault that TCL/Hisense changed something that breaks the YouTube app.
And given the YouTube app has other similar issues on Roku devices, I'm inclined to fault YouTube/Google. Maybe if they fixed the problems the app as on Roku standalone devices and other TVs, it will work on TCL/Hisense TVs.

0 Kudos
Sugarbee
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I see what you mean.  I have several Rokus and have only had YouTube issues with the TCL Roku TV.  Has anyone experienced a problem with a stand alone Roku device or is this with Roku TVs only?

0 Kudos
CordCutterMan
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I also have an Ultra unit. I did the reset, (Should have thought to myself_Brain Fart) Fixed mine for now. Seems obvious if resetting the unit cures the problem, even temporarily, it's not you tube or a TV issue. BUT! In my case, the remote that came with the unit, the movement to go left button died. So couldn't go back or accomplish a search. BAD! Went thru trouble shooting with Roku tech and now have a replacement remote. Did not have this problem with the original remote. Try searching thru remote problems that the remotes issued with the Ultra model and around the same time frame. Seems there is several reports of issues. My replacement has the TV controls which work fine with my Visio TV. If turns out to be the remote, that would be 2 issues I've experienced. Hey Roku, resetting is just a bandaid at best. Dig In! CUTOMER SERVICE!  Thanks all!

0 Kudos