Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CandD
Reel Rookie

Disney + continually drops service on Roku TV but not on other devices in same house on same wifi

Hello,

We have two Roku TVs ( kinda wish we didn't buy a second one now) and everytime we try to stream Disney + it drops service. Yet, I can watch Disney + with no issues on our fire stick or my tablet ( which is old) with no issues on the same wifi. Any help??

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Re: Disney + continually drops service on Roku TV but not on other devices in same house on same ...

Hello @CandD

Thanks for letting us know about the issue you're experiencing. 

In some cases, removing the channel and then re-installing it may help. To ensure the process is successful, follow the steps below making sure you restart your Roku device before adding the channel again.

1. Remove the channel: Highlight the channel tile on your home screen and press the Star button to open the options menu. Select Remove channel and confirm.

• Note: If you are removing a subscription channel billed to your Roku account, you must cancel the subscription before you see the Remove channel option. For help identifying this type of subscription channel, read the detailed article about removing a channel.

2. Restart your Roku device: If it is inconvenient to reach the power cord to unplug your Roku device, you can restart the device from the settings menu. Go to Settings > System > Power > System restart > Restart on a Roku TV.

3. Re-install the channel: After your Roku device restarts, visit the Roku Channel Store and add the channel again.

• Note: If you are adding a subscription channel billed to your Roku account, you will need to resubscribe.

Let us know if there's any difference after.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
MikeO5
Reel Rookie

Re: Disney + continually drops service on Roku TV but not on other devices in same house on same ...

I have been having this same problem since May 2022 or so.  The Roku Ultra (2020 model) drops the wifi connection when playing Disney+.  I get an on-screen message in the upper right corner saying that the Roku is offline.  I guess that's the Disney+ app's message.  The Roku will reconnect to my wifi network after a few minutes, but then it drops the connection again and again every few minutes.

I have tried the procedure outlined above and the problem got worse.  Before the attempt to fix the issue, the wifi drops would start after about 30 minutes of playing.  After the "fix" it happens after about 15 minutes.  I also turned off Wifi Protected Setup in my router because I saw that suggested as a possible solution.

It is possible that the same problem is happening with the new (for me) DirecTV Stream app.  The on-screen message is different, but the problem seems to be the same.  I can play Netflix or the Roku Channel for hours with no problems.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@MikeO5

Thanks for the post.

Have you already tried rebooting your wireless network to see if that helps the issue you are experiencing? In addition, have you tried changing the wireless network channel?

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
MikeO5
Reel Rookie

I have rebooted the router and the Roku.  I have done a factory reset on the Roku.  I flipped the Roku to the 5GHz band on my network.  Nothing has helped.

I tried changing the wireless channel (the "command channel" in my router) to one with the best connection according to Wifi Analyzer and the Roku wouldn't connect to the network at all.  I had to reset the router back to automatic for the channel to get the Roku to connect again.

Next I'm trying a static IP address for the Roku on my home network.  I'll report back.

0 Kudos
MikeO5
Reel Rookie

I need to update my original posting.  The connectivity problem started with Disney+, but it has gotten more widespread.  The Paramount+ app has the same behavior from the first time I used it.  For the first time a few nights ago, the Roku channel exhibited the behavior.  Netflix has been OK so far.

0 Kudos
MikeO5
Reel Rookie

Another update for my Roku Ultra (4800 series): I think I've figured out what the problem is, but I don't yet know how to remedy it nor do I know why this is a recent issue.  My router seems to be "de-authorizing" the Roku with the reason "Disassociated due to inactivity".  So it seems like the Roku streams in enough data that it doesn't need to access the internet for a long enough period of time (apparently about 20-30 minutes) that the router drops the connection.  Then when the Roku needs internet access again, the connection is dead and it needs to be reestablished.  It appears the same thing happens to my Samsung smart TV, but it must not buffer as much data because the issue with the TV occurs less often. This might explain the different behaviors with different apps.  Netflix might stream/buffer differently that do Disney+ and Paramount+.

What is confusing here is that this issue has only been happening since late April or early May.  Did something in the Roku firmware change that would cause the way it streams/buffers to change?  I could ask the same question about my router (Asus RT-AX58U).

0 Kudos