Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discovery Plus Travel Channel Programs thru $.99 promotion

Jump to solution

I recently signed up for the $0.99 Discovery Plus promotional rate through the Roku Channel.  Oh Joy!  I buzzed through and picked my favorites on the various channels.  My No. 1 fav is Mysteries at the Museum through the Travel Channel.  I've watched it nearly every day since.  But last night, it was gone!  So was Mountain Monsters, my husband's favorite.  Question - are we only allowed so many hours of certain programs because this is a promotion?  

The programs show up on a search through Roku and on the Discovery plus channel but NOT through our current gateway, which is the promotional channel created through the Roku channel.  Does that make sense?  Thoughts?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Discovery Plus Travel Channel Programs thru $.99 promotion

Jump to solution

@AmericanGirl 

I think I'm following what you say. I don't think there is a cap on the number of hours/time a certain series can be watched. Rather, it appears that the "via Roku Channel" apps don't always have the full catalog. This is true of every "via Roku Channel" service I tried. And no, there was no special when I did my checking it out. I was just curious and gave it a shot.

I think there's a limit of 200, 300, or 500 (I don't recall which) for content within categories. That's not to say 300 items total, but on, say Science Fiction, only 300 (I think it was the number) items showed up, while the proper app had a larger library.

I don't know how Roku picks the Top 300 (or whatever number) for the various categories, but it may be based on certain search criteria or sorting (most popular, star ratings, or something). And, if content drops out of the Top 300 (or whatever number) then it effectively leaves the "via Roku Channel" app/service until it gets promoted by other users, which would be from the proper app on Roku, Fire TV, Google/Android TV, Apple TV, iOS, Android, web, or whatever platform.

Now, I don't know that this is the case, but it would explain things. And while I don't know the "why" I do know that the content does rotate off and the full library generally isn't available, although a good portion is.

Whether that's by design, or poor search results coding on Roku's part, I don't know.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@AmericanGirl 

I think I'm following what you say. I don't think there is a cap on the number of hours/time a certain series can be watched. Rather, it appears that the "via Roku Channel" apps don't always have the full catalog. This is true of every "via Roku Channel" service I tried. And no, there was no special when I did my checking it out. I was just curious and gave it a shot.

I think there's a limit of 200, 300, or 500 (I don't recall which) for content within categories. That's not to say 300 items total, but on, say Science Fiction, only 300 (I think it was the number) items showed up, while the proper app had a larger library.

I don't know how Roku picks the Top 300 (or whatever number) for the various categories, but it may be based on certain search criteria or sorting (most popular, star ratings, or something). And, if content drops out of the Top 300 (or whatever number) then it effectively leaves the "via Roku Channel" app/service until it gets promoted by other users, which would be from the proper app on Roku, Fire TV, Google/Android TV, Apple TV, iOS, Android, web, or whatever platform.

Now, I don't know that this is the case, but it would explain things. And while I don't know the "why" I do know that the content does rotate off and the full library generally isn't available, although a good portion is.

Whether that's by design, or poor search results coding on Roku's part, I don't know.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Thanks for responding.  I thought it was something like that.  So many episodes or so many hours.  I've got other things I can watch but it kinda sucks not being able to watch what I want.

0 Kudos