Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vvotary
Binge Watcher

Re: Content on the Roku Channel Will Not Play

The following is from the current Canadian “Tips” page… not a 10 year old page. I guess no one goes to hotels outside their country!?!

Stream on the go
The Hotel and Dorm Connect feature allows you to easily take your entertainment on the go. Move your Roku streaming player* to different HDTVs in your home or take it to a friend’s house. Hotel & Dorm Connect** even lets you stream on the go, in your dorm or hotel room. Just use your Roku remote and your smartphone, tablet, or laptop with a web browser to connect your Roku player, sign in, and start streaming.

0 Kudos
vvotary
Binge Watcher

And if you wish to read it on the webpage…

https://www.roku.com/blog/en-ca/canada_5_handy_features

0 Kudos
vvotary
Binge Watcher

So… is Roku being upfront or trying to bend the reality of what you can do?  I would view this as a little on the shady side!!

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@vvotary, you can do everything that page says as long as you stay within your region.  There's nothing in there that mentions that, but that's just the way it works.  Traveling from one region/country to another will only cause problems.  I doubt there's enough users that have this issue to make it worth Roku's while to address and Roku seems to take georestrictions very, very seriously, so if any feature would allow some kind of loophole you can bet that they're not going to add it.  Basically, you need a Roku account that's been established wherever you're currently located.  Anything else just isn't supported and I sincerely doubt it ever will be.  Just my 2 cents.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
vvotary
Binge Watcher

I agree that Roku will not likely try to change the way the Roku Channel operates, unless they decide to attempt to be a good alternative/competition for channels like Prime, Netflix, Tubi, YouTube, etc, that work fine wherever you go, as long as you have an account.  Some don’t even need an account to work fine. 

0 Kudos
TVwatcherToo
Binge Watcher

Content on the Roku Channel Will Not Play

Roku Channel still not working for me.

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @TVwatcherToo,

Thank you for keeping us posted!
We'd like to investigate this issue further. May we know what troubleshooting steps you have taken so far?

We'll wait for your response.

Thanks,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
TVwatcherToo
Binge Watcher

Roku has certainly been restarted several times.  Firmware is up to date.  Other channels on Roku work.  As originally described none of the programs on Roku channel will play.

0 Kudos
TVwatcherToo
Binge Watcher

Roku channel still not playing

0 Kudos
BigTom
Channel Surfer

I suggest reading the following thread:

• The Roku Channel is temporarily unavailable on Samsung Smart TV

You should be able to find this thread on page 3.  If this thread describes your problem, then you will learn that other people have the same problem and what Roku has told us what they are doing about our problem.

If this thread describes a different problem that you are having, then all I can offer you is the best of luck in finding a solution.

0 Kudos