Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Content on the Roku Channel Will Not Play

@vvotary 

Please click here on our name to get to our profile page, then click "Send this user a private message" to privately contact us. Please remember, that you must be signed into the community first to send us a private message.

Thanks,

Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

@vvotary

It sounds like you may have created a Roku account that isn't located in your current region. If channels in your region are not available, it may indicate that your device is linked to an account that was created in a different region where that channel may not be offered by the channel provider. You'll want to make sure that you are using an internet connection located in the correct region when creating your account. You can check your IP address reported location by visiting www.whatismyip.com - If you see an issue, you'll need to contact your ISP to help resolve any issue.
We would recommend creating a new Roku account in your region. For more information about how to create a new account, visit our Support page here: How do I create a Roku® account? Once your new account is set up, try to perform a factory reset on your device and link it to your new account. For more information about how to perform a factory reset, visit our Support page here: How do I factory reset my Roku® streaming device?

Thanks,

Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
vvotary
Binge Watcher

I am travelling with my Roku for winter. All other channels work so why won’t the Roku channel work?  I am in the USA and I’m sure Roku channel works here. I have even tried guest mode with no login of account and the channel will still not play.

0 Kudos
vvotary
Binge Watcher

So, what you are telling me is that I can NOT take my (Canadian account) Roku device on vacation with me and access the Roku Channel, even if I only vacation in the USA?  I believe Roku claims differently. 

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@vvotary  , can you point to a webpage that says that you can move a device from Canada to the US without having any issues?  In general, moving a device that was set up in one region to another will cause all kinds of problems.  If you travel back and forth a lot you may want to have two accounts and possibly two devices since the only way to switch accounts on a Roku device is to factory reset it.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
vvotary
Binge Watcher

It’s really not that big of an issue. I just remember when purchasing the first of 4 current devices and recommending the Roku to many others, part of the idea was the ability to watch wherever you had internet, even a hotspot would work. I guess perhaps I never really asked about travelling across borders, it was never thought of as a problem point. I know with Prime, I get different shows that may not be available in each country but it still works and some of the shows work everywhere. I assume ‘rights’ are an issue but when in the USA I would assume I can watch whatever is available in the USA. Apparently not so I will not try to make it work. A lot of channels do not stop working and I am not attempting to do anything wrong so I will just wait until I return to Canada for the Roku Channel to start working again. 

0 Kudos
vvotary
Binge Watcher

As for a web page that strongly suggests you can travel with a Roku…

https://www.roku.com/blog/stay-entertained-on-vacation-how-to-travel-with-your-roku-player

0 Kudos
TVwatcherToo
Binge Watcher

The Roku webpage doesn't merely suggest, it downright says you can travel with your Roku and tells you how to do it.  No BS about which part of the country you might be traveling to.  And since it's the Roku Channel that doesn't work, it should be under Roku's total control to fix it.  No excuses that it's a third party channel not working outside of Roku's control.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@TVwatcherToo, are you talking about that webpage from almost 10 years ago?!  It doesn't mention different regions and I'm not even sure if Roku worked anywhere beyond the US back then and I know The Roku Channel didn't exist back then.  A lot has changed in the last 10 years.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
vvotary
Binge Watcher

It looks

like you can NOT access the Roku Channel in countries other than the one in which it was purchased.  This “warning” should be in bold on every box and listed in every advertisement that Roku uses. People move about more and more and even change where they live. There should be no reason in todays world to make it so the Roku Channel simply does not work. All that is needed is to adjust or allow the correct content to be accessed or played, not lock out the entire channel.  Time to step it up a notch?

0 Kudos