Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku Channel Won't Play Anything At All

Hi @Bmom

Thanks for reaching out to the Roku Community. 

When streaming Discovery+ and Paramount+, were you trying to access the channels on the standalone channel or through The Roku Channel?

Please be advised that we are currently aware of the playback issue on The Roku Channel and our engineering team has been investigating this issue closely. Once information is available we'll be sure to provide an update. 

We look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Regards, 
Nimfa

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: therokuchannel.roku.com videos don't play

@Henbird wrote:

I did try changing the DNS, it did not work for me. On a sidenote, but maybe not could be related….

I tried streaming from the Roku app on my iPad. It says I need to disconnect from VPN. I have never had a VPN, and when I looked in my settings, there is not one set. Anyone else getting that message?

Did you reboot your Roku after changing the DNS settings? Just had to confirm.

An error message saying something about a VPN makes me suspicious that your ISP is doing some strange routing to reach the Internet. And that might be a reason that TRC is failing, as the content is only licensed by Roku for use within the US (and maybe Canada, can't remember). If the data stream is passing through some other country to reach the Internet (which is what a VPN would be doing) that would explain why TRC would suddenly stop working.

As a test, do you have a phone hotspot you can connect your Roku to and see if TRC works correctly? If it does, then that is the problem, although I have no suggestions on a fix. However you get your Internet (that's your ISP) would have to ensure your data path remains within the US.  

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
KatKatKat
Binge Watcher

atc98092  -   Thank you for that response.   I do get the possible routing issue thought, but, the fact that it literally happened overnight, seems suspicious/weird.   Possibly Roku changed something at their end, that they need to change back?   Could they have gotten hacked?   Just really odd.   And then there is the fact that all works fine on my laptop computer using the same router, modem, Wifi, etc.   

0 Kudos
Razzuria

Re: Content on the Roku Channel Will Not Play

I've been getting the same issue for several days, maybe a week, now. The Roku Channel refuses to play streaming content. It does play live TV, though a couple live channels appear to be not working. All other app channels appear to be working normally. This has been happening on both Roku devices in my house. Here is the tracking info from one of them.

Model: 3930RW – Roku Express

Serial number:X00400RMPMN3 (S009521MPMN3)

Software version: 11.5.0 • build 4312–AE

Timestamp: 2023-04-24T00:55:37Z

Issue ID: N3–162–775

Note: I am able to watch Roku channel streaming content on my computer which is on the same WiFi as my Roku devices. So it doesn't appear to be a DNS issue, unless the DNS can be altered solely on the Roku device, separately from the rest of the devices on the network.

~Jason

0 Kudos
Henbird
Channel Surfer

Yes, I did reboot my Roku.
I decided to experiment and connected my iPad to the hotspot on my phone. The Roku channel played. Not a solution as LTE is slow where I live. Not to mention the data drain from “unlimited” Verizon.

So the mystery continues…

mop_891
Roku Guru

atc98092

I think you are on to something. I never use my ISP's DNS servers. Right now I'm using cloud flare's (1.1.1.1). I've not had any problems with the ROKU channel.

0 Kudos
atc98092

@mop_891 wrote:

atc98092

I think you are on to something. I never use my ISP's DNS servers. Right now I'm using cloud flare's (1.1.1.1). I've not had any problems with the ROKU channel.

That is helping narrow it down. And as to why it might work on someone's computer or tablet, if Roku is like most other streaming companies they use different servers to feed different platforms. So if the server used for a computer has a different public IP address (and most likely does) that would explain it working on some devices and not on others. 

Dan

WubbleGubble
Streaming Star

If it were a DNS issue, all services would be failing as well.

0 Kudos
mop_891
Roku Guru

@WubbleGubble

maybe, maybe not. A different DNS server might give you a different route. It's really tough to say. In my 20+ years I've seen a few similar situations. Some things you could get to some not. Changed DNS and it fixed it. Granted does not happen often but, not impossible.

0 Kudos
atc98092

As @mop_891 mentioned, DNS issues can affect only certain destinations, and other sites are fine. That’s not to say that the issue might not still be on Roku’s side, but by providing them with this information it gives them a place to check. 

Dan

0 Kudos