Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sockeye
Reel Rookie

Re: Content on the Roku Channel Will Not Play

i had the same problem using starlink internet. i was having problems with roku and internet calling.ended up changing my dns on starlink and seemed to clear up the problem.

0 Kudos
JESSICATHEBABE
Binge Watcher

Shows will not play. Hit "play" and it just goes back to the start screen.

Same issue lots of people are having.
I click on a show and it just goes back to the start screen. Over and over.
I went through all the suggested steps. Deleted the ROKU app and re-installed it. Unplugged the TV for 30 seconds. Did all the suggested steps except factory reset on the entire TV.  Nothing worked.
I have two TV's in my house - neither one's ROKU is working. I also have a small cabin on my property, that uses a totally different internet provider, and their ROKU channels are doing the same thing.

Here is all my info for one of two house TVs.  THANK YOU

58R6+. Hi sense model

C232x - hardware

Serial x001007ryroe

Software version 11.5.0 build 4312-94

Device ID s01mh19ryroe

ROKU

Version 8.0 build 72

IE oe-162-351

KatKatKat
Binge Watcher

Re: therokuchannel.roku.com videos don't play

We just bought our Roku sticks, have to put one in each TV, so they are new.   But we are having problems on ALL of our TVs with the 'Roku Channel'.   Example: We watch 'Doc Martin' and we want to watch Series 1, Episode 1 (S1/E1).   We click on the button and it just repeats/refreshes, over and over.   Continually saying Series 1, Episode 1.  But the show never will open up or stream/play.  It is doing this with all shows on the 'Roku Channel' though.   We did try 'system restart', and rebooting the modem, and rebooting the router, and deleting the 'roku channel' app and reinstalling it.   And we tried it using all of these steps at one time, and/or some of these steps at different times.   None of them worked.   Still refreshes to the same screen, and not actually loading.    MANY people are reporting having the same problem.   Not sure why everyone isn't having this problem???    If you have an idea of how to correct it please let us all know.   Thanks.

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Someone else has mentioned changing the DNS settings in their network DHCP server and that resolved the issue. For people that aren't tech savvy about how to do something like that, it involves logging into the router you use in your home and changing the setting there. By default you are using the DNS servers that your ISP specifies, but you can use any DNS server you desire. You can't manually set your TCP/IP settings, so you need to make the changes in your DHCP server. Once the changes are made, you need to power cycle your Roku so it retrieves the updated settings. 

While many people don't care for Google, they do run public DNS servers that work really well. They are the DNS servers I use on my network, and I have no issues with The Roku Channel, so it would be worth testing. The IP address of the Google DNS servers to use are 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. I've attached an image of the settings in my Linksys router. Your router may look differently, but the settings boxes should be very similar.

Screenshot 2023-04-23 153147.jpg

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Bmom

Roku Channel Won't Play Anything At All

Why will my roku free channel not play. Even my discovery + and paramount channels won't play???

KatKatKat
Binge Watcher

atc98092   Your suggestion is over my head.   Hoping Roku tech employees can find a simpler solution.   If someone is an actual Roku Tech employee, please show it under your name.    Several people are offering suggestions, but at the bottom it reads 'not an actual Roku employee'.    What they don't seem to understand is that the 'Roku Channel' worked flawlessly for the 6 months we have had it.   Suddenly overnight, we can no longer view anything on that channel because it just keeps on refreshing and never loading any of the programs.   It's got to be a problem on the Roku end!!!!   NOTHING was/has changed on my end.... router, modem, tv, remote, roku stick...... same ones I've used for the past 6 months.

Jseverino

Roku channel won’t play many shows

Within the Roku channel we have been watching the series Cold Case.  When I select the next episode, it trys to play but goes back to the series menu.  Multiple shows have this same issue and many of the live Roku channels won’t play either. Reset device many times

issue Id 0G-162-705

KatKatKat
Binge Watcher

I just tried playing shows on the 'Roku Channel' on my laptop computer and it works fine on my laptop.    I am using the same WiFi, same modem, router, etc. that my TV uses.    So the fact that the 'roku channel'  does not work on ANY of our 5 TVs is really odd.    Possibly something to do with going thru Roku sticks?   It's just really odd that it happened overnight though.   The Roku channel worked fine on all the TVs one day, the next day the 'Roku Channel' did not.   We contacted the Roku tech group by phone and they assured us it would be fixed in 24-48 hours, but it has been about 5 days now.   

Henbird
Channel Surfer

I did try changing the DNS, it did not work for me. On a sidenote, but maybe not could be related….

I tried streaming from the Roku app on my iPad. It says I need to disconnect from VPN. I have never had a VPN, and when I looked in my settings, there is not one set. Anyone else getting that message?

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@KatKatKat wrote:

atc98092   Your suggestion is over my head.   Hoping Roku tech employees can find a simpler solution.   

Unfortunately, if there is a DNS routing issue with some DNS providers, there's nothing Roku can do from their side. The failure is completely outside of anything they can control. I understand that my suggestion is difficult for many people that don't have that sort of knowledge. But hopefully it can provide some direction for a friend that might be able to help. Of course, one other person here has tried changing DNS and it didn't help. I can only reiterate that these are the settings I use on my network, and every Roku device I have works with TRC just fine. I completely understand your frustration, but if the problem is some sort of routing failure out in the Internet itself, Roku's hands are tied.

You asked about Roku employees. If their user name starts with Roku, then they are employees, and their signature line should also say that. Roku has graciously identified a handful of us users that have better than average skills with assisting with issues like this and has given us the title of Streaming Expert. We don't know everything, and we are not employees so have no inside connection to the company. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.