Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting Atari 2600 with and F connector

I’m connecting an Atari 2600 with an F connector through the ANT/cable/coaxial input. How do I view channel 3 on my Roku TV? I have the Live Tv app but channel 3/4 is not an option. When I try to type the channel in with my Roku phone app nothing happens. Please help

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
andyross
Roku Guru

Re: Connecting Atari 2600 with and F connector

I think with a Roku TV you have to do a channel scan to populate the guide. Make sure the Atari is turned on when you do it.

makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

The Atari 2600 signal will require a tv tuner that can handle analog NTSC signals.  Today's digital broadcast channels require an ATSC tuner.  Do Roku TVs typically still contain NTSC decoders?  My TCL 43S245/C107X Roku TV has NTSC/ATSC/Clear QAM, but do all?

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
andyross
Roku Guru

As far as I know, all TV's support both analog (NTSC) and digital (ATSC).

0 Kudos
W9JYD_Ham

Wrong, @makaiguy . @The Atari 2600 and ALL home computer and video game consoles (with a few exceptions, i.e., the Apple II series) had a built in RF modulator, including MY first computer, the Tandy Radio Shack TRS-80 Color Computer (26-3002), which used a Motorola MC1372 chip for the RF modulation to interface the MC6847 VDG to the TV.

However, to the OP, this is a tip I learned from the Malted Media Productions CoCo Mailing List (run by Dennis Báthory Kitsz, a prominent figure in the CoCo and TRS-80 Model I communities):

Your Atari 2600 (if it's a real Atari VCS, made by Warner Communications, NOT the AtGames clone) uses a 75-ohm coaxial connection to a switch. GET RID OF THE SWITCH. Even though it was required back then so the device could get FCC approval under Part 15 guidelines back in the late 1970s and 80s as a Type I TV Attachment, but the FCC relaxed that recently.

You have to go on Amazon and get a female RCA jack to Male F adapter. Back then, you *could* just drive to the Radio Shack and get the adapter for about $2 but Radio Shack ain't around anymore.

Connect the wire that went to the TV/Game switch to the adapter. Screw the F connector to the TV.

Then, at the Home screen, press the (*) Star button while the "Live TV" option is highlighted, then scan for channels.

Pay attention to the first screen. It will ask if Channels 3 and 4 are needed for a VCR or similar. Select "Yes, channels 3 and 4 are needed".

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos