Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dwmc2
Channel Surfer

Closed Captions get turned off

Jump to solution

Every time Roku is rebooted (e.g., for the blank black screens on 3/12/23), my closed captions preference is reset to OFF.   I have had to set my preference to ALWAYS ON several times this month.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Re: Closed Captions get turned off

Jump to solution

Hi @dwmc2

Thank you for the reply.

If closed captions get turned off on all channels on Roku, it's possible that there is a setting or preference that is causing this. Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot this issue:

• Check that closed captions are enabled in your Roku device's settings. To do this, go to Settings > Accessibility > Captions mode and make sure it's set to "On."
  • Make sure that the closed caption settings are enabled for each individual channel. Some channels have their own settings for closed captions that may override the device's settings. Check each channel's settings to ensure that closed captions are enabled.
  • If the issue persists, try resetting your Roku device to its factory settings. This will erase all your settings and preferences, including the closed captions settings. To reset your Roku device, go to Settings > System > Advanced system settings > Factory reset.

It's also worth noting that some channels may not have closed captioning available for all content. If you're experiencing issues with closed captions on a specific channel, it may be worth checking the channel's website or contacting their customer support to see if closed captions are available for the content you're trying to watch.

Warm regards,
Lianna 

View solution in original post

43 REPLIES 43
RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @dwmc2

Welcome to the Roku Community!

Can you please provide us with more specific information about the issue you are experiencing? Does the issue only occur on a specific channel or across other channels installed on your Roku device? How long has the issue existed and what troubleshooting done to resolve the issue?

With detailed information, we will be able to assist you better.

Warm Regards,
Lianna

0 Kudos
dwmc2
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

All channels.   When realize that there are no captions, I go to Roku  settings/accessibility,  and closed captions is set to Off.    I set it to Always On.    I have done this 6-8 times in the last 2 months. 

Last night, movies on all channels were blank (dark screen) when we tried to watch.  I did a system restart and the movies were visible, but there were no captions.  I went to settings/accessibility and cc were Off again.  

This is on a Roku Express purchased in October 2022 through Amazon.

RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @dwmc2

Thank you for the reply.

If closed captions get turned off on all channels on Roku, it's possible that there is a setting or preference that is causing this. Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot this issue:

• Check that closed captions are enabled in your Roku device's settings. To do this, go to Settings > Accessibility > Captions mode and make sure it's set to "On."
  • Make sure that the closed caption settings are enabled for each individual channel. Some channels have their own settings for closed captions that may override the device's settings. Check each channel's settings to ensure that closed captions are enabled.
  • If the issue persists, try resetting your Roku device to its factory settings. This will erase all your settings and preferences, including the closed captions settings. To reset your Roku device, go to Settings > System > Advanced system settings > Factory reset.

It's also worth noting that some channels may not have closed captioning available for all content. If you're experiencing issues with closed captions on a specific channel, it may be worth checking the channel's website or contacting their customer support to see if closed captions are available for the content you're trying to watch.

Warm regards,
Lianna 

OldLabornurse
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thank you so much for this information.  I tried to get help via Roku support, but at first the person didn't even know what captions were; she thought I was asking about the audio.  I had to describe captions as the dialogue being displayed at the bottom of the screen.  Then she had no clue how to solve this issue other than to tell me I would have to pay one dollar to be connected to a service representative, and thereafter 55 dollars. (I'm sorry I don't remember the exact amount.)  There have been so many complaints about this issue and you were the only one that has resolved the issue.  I had no idea that the various streaming providers have their own settings because it isn't clearly visible on their home pages.  

makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@OldLabornurse-

Roku does NOT charge for support services.  You contacted someone other than Roku, usually found via a web search that led you to a bogus support site.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
bjm368
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I no longer have closed captions.  I went to settings and it showed that they were activated yet none of my programs have them on now.

0 Kudos
bjm368
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I finally tried the factory reset and it didn't help.  I have 3 rokus in my house.  Could that be the problem?

0 Kudos
denhow
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

That happens to me sometimes (but not always) on the Peacock channel. Captions are turned on but if I start the Peacock channel and try to watch something the captions may or may not be working.

The work-around that I've discovered is this: (1) I hit the *-key and, under "Accessibility & captions", I switch the captioning track from English to Spanish. Within a few seconds the captions appear (in Spanish of course). (2) I hit the *-key again and switch the track back to English. The captions now work as they should.

It seems like when you tell it to change the captioning track, the channel discovers that captioning should be turned on!

This is on a Roku Express 4K+.

0 Kudos
Bismarck318
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I have noted the captions being turned off, but this seems to only occur on the Kanopy channel. I will have to turn the captions on upon every time entering or starting or resuming a movie... just minor annoyance especially many of the movies are in a foreign language. 

0 Kudos