Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
juice427

Closed Captioning never works!

Jump to solution

I'm to the point where I'm about to get rid of every roku device I own because this is so incredibly frustrating. I have followed so many threads here, on reddit, and various other places and have tried EVERYTHING. 

This is clearly a known issue that has been around for a very long time and I'm pretty frustrated that it hasn't been resolved by any update to date. 

I have the home settings for closed captions set to off and I'm only using each apps closed captioning options, or using the * button if they don't have one (like Disney+). 

I'm really at my wits end and do not want to have to reset everything after using roku faithfully for over a decade now. 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Closed Captioning never works!

Jump to solution

Thank you for joining us here in the Roku Community, @juice427!

We appreciate you for reporting this to us. No worries! We're here to provide more information about how setting up the closed captioning feature on Roku works.

Please be aware that disabling or enabling closed captioning directly through your Roku Settings doesn't include most channels available on the Roku streaming platform. The majority of content on the Roku platform comes from streaming channels maintained and updated independently by the channel's provider, which includes running their own operating system (features).

Moreover, if you are having issues with utilizing the closed captioning on The Roku Channel, please let us know so we can further assist you with this.

For reference, here's our support article dedicated to this: How to enable closed captioning

We'll be looking forward to your update.

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Channel Surfer

Re: Closed Captioning never works! Peacock

Jump to solution

Please know that tou need to turn off captions in ROKU SETTINGS and turn on in PEACOCK channel.   It took me a while to figure out but i see so many questions about this

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Thank you for joining us here in the Roku Community, @juice427!

We appreciate you for reporting this to us. No worries! We're here to provide more information about how setting up the closed captioning feature on Roku works.

Please be aware that disabling or enabling closed captioning directly through your Roku Settings doesn't include most channels available on the Roku streaming platform. The majority of content on the Roku platform comes from streaming channels maintained and updated independently by the channel's provider, which includes running their own operating system (features).

Moreover, if you are having issues with utilizing the closed captioning on The Roku Channel, please let us know so we can further assist you with this.

For reference, here's our support article dedicated to this: How to enable closed captioning

We'll be looking forward to your update.

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Channel Surfer

Re: Closed Captioning never works! Peacock

Jump to solution

Please know that tou need to turn off captions in ROKU SETTINGS and turn on in PEACOCK channel.   It took me a while to figure out but i see so many questions about this

0 Kudos
Mbowhay

Jump to solution

I cannot turn off close captions. I’ve tried everything 

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.