Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bangjr

Clear YouTube search history

Finally took the plunge with Roku.  Purchased the Streaming Stick +.  

I noticed that I can not clear YouTube history.  I have tried:

1. Going via YouTube app's Settings > Clear search history

2. Checked search on YouTube app, all search history is still there.

3. Restart the stick and history still shows up.

4. Uninstalled the app, restarted the stick, install the app...search history is still there.

How can I clear YouTube search history? Shouldn't I be able to do this?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
BartZLederman
Roku Guru

Re: Clear YouTube search history

Go into the YouTube app, left arrow to the column of choices, down arrow to "Settings", Then down Arrow to "Clear search history".  This worked for me, at least when signed into my account. It should also work for "Guest".

Now the hard part: how do you SAVE a search.  If I search as "Guest", it puts that into the list of saved searches, so I can re-find my favorite channels and topics.  But if I search while logged in to my account, my searches are NOT saved.  All I see are YouTubes force-fed searches (with the little odd flame icon), and they are never replaced with my searches. Does anyone else see this, and do you know how to put your own searches there?

0 Kudos
garystan1952
Binge Watcher

Hi everybody :

I also tried that.   And it doesn't work.  And the YouTube app  is uptodate..  I even tried going into my YouTube account online.   That, as well, didn't work.

Gary S.

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @garystan1952,

Thanks for letting us know about the issue that you are experiencing.

For more information about that channel's features and functionality, you'll want to contact Youtube support directly to inquire further. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves.

You can reach them here: https://support.google.com/youtube/?hl=en#topic=9257498

Let me know if you have any other questions, and have a good day!

Kind regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
BartZLederman
Roku Guru

The last link doesn't work for me.

I just went through this all again (another post reported that the YouTube channel completely erased EVERYTHING, my watch history, my searches, etc.).  So I'm starting all over again.

I signed into my YouTube account (something I usually do not do), and I found that "Search" had the usually YouTube forced-fed search suggestions.  So I did two searches, and they DID NOT replace any of YouTube's reset searches.  So I logged out of my account, did two more searches, and they DID get saved.

So: does ANYONE (including YouTube) really know how to do a search when logged in and have it saved (replace one of the YouTube force-fed searches), so I can hopefully have my history saved in the future for the next time YouTube does a complete wipe of the application? If your searches are being saved while you are logged in, could you please tell the rest of us what you do to get your searches saved?  Is there any explanation anywhere that says why searches are not saved if you're logged in?

Or am I going to have to continue to watch YouTube when not logged into an account?  In a way, I'd prefer to do it this way, but this is the third time YouTube has completely wiped my watch preferences and saved searches, and I'd really like to avoid going through this again if possible.

0 Kudos
OwnerofDevices
Roku Guru

here is a link that you can click YouTube Help (google.com)

0 Kudos
BartZLederman
Roku Guru

I've gone to that URL several times, using two different browsers, and haven't gotten anywhere. I click on the category, or on the "down arrow" in the category, and nothing happens.

I've gone to the "Search" box and entered a search word, such as "Roku" and pressed return, and nothing happens.

I've done this both without logging in, and after logging in to my Google account, and get the same results.

Does anyone have a more complete description of how really report a problem to Google, or look up a solution?

Perhaps someone has the exact COMPLETE URL for the discussion about YouTube that says how to really save searches within the Roku channel, or at least the root URL for discussions about Roku?

Just repeating the base URL isn't helping at all.

0 Kudos
OwnerofDevices
Roku Guru

Google develops the YouTube channel not Roku. So, the only place to get help is from Google. 

0 Kudos
BartZLederman
Roku Guru

I'm well aware of that. The last few posts here are about trying to get help from YouTube for this problem.

0 Kudos
BartZLederman
Roku Guru

I've found, twice, that there is a way to clear search history if you don't log in to an account when using YouTube.

Just wait for their next update of the App.  That will completely wipe out everything you've ever done.

As for clearing search history if you do log into an account, that still hasn't been fixed.

0 Kudos