Channels & viewing

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Richard1949
Level 7

Chess Channel suddenly not opening or functioning.

I have been playing Chess on my Roku's streaming channels now for years. Suddenly today when I brought up the Chess Channel it wouldn't open and said I needed to purchase it to use it. I hit the purchase button but nothing happened. Tried it several times, even reset the Roku device. Nada. I'm guessing the channel has been removed or incapacitated. Anybody know about this? Please respond. Thanks.

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
denhow
Level 10

Re: Chess Channel suddenly not opening or functioning.

Are you maybe confusing the Chess! channel [note the exclamation point at the end], which still appears to be free, and the Chess channel [no exclamation point], which is a paid channel? I've never tried the paid channel but I have tried both free chess channels in the channel store -- Chess! and Chess Live! I prefer Chess Live! It has fewer ads and more levels. But with Chess Live! if you're playing against the computer you always have to play white, which is a disadvantage.

0 Kudos
Richard1949
Level 7

Thanks for your reply, but no, it is the Chess Channel. I've been playing chess on that channel for years but suddenly today it, first, won't open, then it tells me I have to purchase it when I've never paid for it before. And when I tried to purchase it, nothing happens. I'm confused. I suppose it's possible ROKU has discontinued it for whatever reason. I think what I'll try is to uninstall the channel then reinstall it. Maybe then it'll let pay for it. A few years back ROKU used to have the Angry Birds channel which I loved and played all the time. Then it started malfunctioning, not much at first, but got progressively worse. So one day I just deleted the channel with the intent of reinstalling it, but when I went looking for it in the streaming channels it was gone. Turned out ROKU lost the license from Rovia to keep it. I'd like to get that one back, too! Thanks again.

0 Kudos
denhow
Level 10

Ah, ok. I don't think it's been discontinued though, because all three channels I mentioned are still in the channel store. I checked before making that post.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@Richard1949, there appears to be a problem with (all?) one-time purchase channels.  I don't know for sure if it's the problem here, but apparently Roku knows about it.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos