Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Videohooligan
Channel Surfer

Channel 4 (UK) - Not available?

Hello,

I am trying to download Channel 4 app to my Roku stick and it does not show up. (Neither does ITV) Is there an issue or it's simply not available on Roku?

Is Channel 4 available on Firestick? 

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Channel 4 (UK) - Not available?

Assuming you're in the UK, it sounds like your Roku account was set up in the wrong region.  It seems all too easy to do inadvertently.  The fix is to create a new Roku account ensuring you're not doing anything that may mask your true location like using a proxy or VPN.  Clear your browser cookies or use a private/incognito browser window when you create the new account.  Then factory reset your Roku device and link it to the new account.

You can see the channels/apps that should be available to you at:
https://channelstore.roku.com/en-gb/browse

Again, cookies can really screw up Roku websites, so if that link redirects to a different region (check the "country selector" in the bottom right corner of the webpage), clear your cookies and try again.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Videohooligan
Channel Surfer

Thank you @renojim for your reply.

That complicates things because I also travel to the US and take my ROKU stick with me.

If I create a new account and set the region to UK what will then happen to my US channels? Will my US channels be deleted?

0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

I'm not aware of any traveling option within Roku accounts.

Probably the simplest method is two Rokus and two accounts.  If you’re willing to do a bit more work, then two accounts with one Roku being factory reset on each move, and then logged into the correct local account, would also do the trick. 

Banned but back. Because why not?
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@Videohooligan, the channels are tied to the account, not the device, so your channels should remain with the account.  However, I don't know what happens if there's no longer a device associated with the account.  I think the account remains intact ready to be linked to a device, but I've never tested it.  You also may have to log into some services when you factory reset to switch from one account to another and back.

Traveling with Roku devices to different regions can be problematic.  As you've seen, you only get access to the channels for the region of the account.  Moving the device to a different region doesn't change the region associated with the account.  There's also Geo-restrictions that many providers put in place, so if you took a device associated with a UK account to the US, the UK channels would still be there, but they would be blocked by the provider.  I've also seen problems where people purchased a US device and it didn't work properly in the UK.  It appears some of those UK providers take the model number into consideration when allowing access or for some reason the US models are flagged as incompatible.

To be honest, if I were traveling often I'd get two devices and have one associated with a UK account and the other with a US account.  I believe they're cheaper here, so you might want to pick up a device the next time you're here just for use in the US.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Videohooligan
Channel Surfer

Thank you @renojim 

i think probably best to purchase a different streaming stick that is not locked to a particular region 

0 Kudos